Sane Advice on Managing Paperwork.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have too much and its about as manageable as my garden...

How long should I keep things like bills?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Anything relating to income tax for seven years. Everything else (utility bills etc.) no more than a couple of years. Receipts for expensive purchases for three years or so in case you need to take them back.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
What British Red says. I keep the annual statements of interest from places like banks but shred the ongoing statements after a year or so. If you have other investments again the ongoing valuations aren't important, what the tax man is interested in is income and profits/losses so you need to keep dealing slips and dividend information. I shred bills after about a year when I'm pretty sure there isn't going to be any query about them.

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
Be ruthless, at least a bit. I've recently dealt with my father in law's paperwork after his death and it was clear that most of the stuff he kept as "important" really wasn't - but it took another eye to see it.

Of course, he came from a generation that needed documents for everything. If you can scan things, then you can chuck the physical papers and still keep a record. And if the scanning seems a pain, that's probably an indicator that the paperwork is unnecessary too.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Anything relating to income tax for seven years. Everything else (utility bills etc.) no more than a couple of years. Receipts for expensive purchases for three years or so in case you need to take them back.

Exactly. I usually file such receipts in the same envelope as the tax documents for that applicable year: 2013 receipts with the 2013 tax return, etc.)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What British Red says. I keep the annual statements of interest from places like banks but shred the ongoing statements after a year or so. If you have other investments again the ongoing valuations aren't important, what the tax man is interested in is income and profits/losses.....

For the taxman yes, but should something happen to you, your heirs might appreciate a recent statement showing approximate current value.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Be ruthless, at least a bit. I've recently dealt with my father in law's paperwork after his death and it was clear that most of the stuff he kept as "important" really wasn't - but it took another eye to see it....

Yes. I have property tax receipts from the 1950s that my parents kept. They had absolutely no need to keep them beyond 3 or 4 years (and I don't keep mine any longer than I keep the associated income tax file where I claim the property tax as a deduction) but now, those 1950s receipts are actually something I can't bring myself to trash.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thanks very much. I hate to chuck anything out...Its the times I have got rid of something only to need it later...How I detest that calamity.

Im also not very good at deciding whats important and what isn't.

I know they say that when you sort thing out, you have 3 piles.

KEEP
GET RID OF
UNCERTAIN

...With me, most ends up on the uncertain.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
My parents still have bags full of cheque book stubs and bank statements dating back to thier marriage in 74, they have moved them 3 times and not once been looked at.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE