Sand or snow pegs / stakes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hemdale

Nomad
Jan 30, 2012
London
Hi guys,

Does anyone own these little things ?

Blizzard_Tent_Stakes_1_.jpg

I'm assuming there are more or less the same as these...but waaay cheaper !
I'll go camping this summer in some sandy areas and I really need something I can rely on.

Any input from you guys is more than welcome !

Thanks

Bruce

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I took some to Estonia for using as dead men. I quickly changed to wooden sticks. They hold ok but i just didnt trust them. Wood has a larger surface area if you get gnarly sticks. Or you could use plastic bags full of sand for a lightweight solution or rocks tied off and buried

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I have the MSR stakes you show and they are pretty good for soft-ish soil but I would go with the Alpkit ones for really sandy soil- or more likely just use carrier bags filled with sand as already suggested ;)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've been using one of those MSR's as a lightweight poo trowel for a couple of years. The anodising is still to wear off-they are very well made but the red has faded to Fenna pink :lmao:

Like others, I use sticks but I always tarp it. if I was tenting, I'd go with that type for ease of use..

Sand can be a nightmare-much worse than snow. I once tied my tarp to 10 huge rocks and buried them-must have weighed 30kg each. Every one moved in the night in a storm.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
I took some to Estonia for using as dead men. I quickly changed to wooden sticks. They hold ok but i just didnt trust them. Wood has a larger surface area if you get gnarly sticks. Or you could use plastic bags full of sand for a lightweight solution or rocks tied off and buried

+1 here

In winter I use 1 metrr lengths of wood and bury it in the snow. It will hold plenty. Else the ski poles, the skis themselves, and nearby trees and bushes. Never have a problem finding something to tie off to.
Above the treeline, the skis and skipoles, snow spade, etc make good anchoring points.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE