Sand in friction firemaking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alessio

Mar 3, 2010
Swansea, Wales
I've been thinking, what would happen if you put some sand into the hearthboard when you are trying to create an ember with a fire bow? [Not sure about my terminology there, but I hope you understand what I mean =]]

It just occurred to me when I tried to brush some off my arm and it heated up by quite a significant degree. It wasnt painful or anything, but I tried it on my other arm and the friction wasnt as great. Any thoughts on this?

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I use a pinch of sand and a little charcoal quite a bit it doesn't half help get the drill going no glazing nothing just heat smoke and coal starting to build

When bedding in the drill I use a pinch of sand (if available), it is very abrasive though so too much rubbing can send the drill on its merry way through the hearth board far too quickly. So after the board and drill have a nice fit I knock the sand out and carry on.

jdlenton's suggestion of charcoal dust is a good one too. I sometimes 'chalk' the end of the drill with some charcoal, this does seem to make for easier fire lighting.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I have seen a small bit of sand added to a bowdrill hearth in a video & have meant to give it a go. Interesting about the charcol as well. I might give that a go this weekend if it does not rain

Well I'm impressed with your observation skills Alessio, you came up with the idea through thought and observation without even knowing it was already out there!! .. A sign of a good eye for it! I've often wondered how ancient man had his brainwaves, to take things to the next level.. obviously though observing one thing, and applying it to something else! .. (with some trial and error thrown in the mix!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE