saltpetre and amadou

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm looking to make some amadou and I think I have found a good supply of horse hove fungus.
After reading about how to prepare amadou, I now need to buy some saltpetre / Potassium Nitrate.

I have tried a few garden centers and they say they dont stock it.

Anyone know where I can buy some from? I would prefer a shop instead of online and I'm in the Leeds / York area.

cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Shops I don't know about, I buy mine from the sausagemaking.org sites. It's good, it's clean, it's cheap and it's quickly delivered :D

cheers,
Toddy

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
You don't need it, don't bother. If you're going to use shop-bought saltpetre, you might as well go the whole hog and just buy some firelighters.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, I've made it from scratch, and it's a footer, it takes ages, it stinks :yuck: I'm not doing it again.

You mean saltpetre? Yeah, nasty business... I'd be curious to have a go at it once in my life, just to know I can, but I don't much fancy the process.

I use it when making amadou that I know I'm going to be using in the cold and damp, and it takes from the tiniest wee spark

Never really found it a problem. Admittedly, I haven't tried with flint and pyrite...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You've an allotment, you could have a shot there :D
Basically it's the product of a festering old fashioned midden heap. Vegetable waste, fires ashes and bodily wastes. If you can make one on top of a slab with brick laid walls and capped with wood it'll mellow away to itself and you'll end up with crystals on the bricks.
Just mind to pee on it after you've had a fair bit of red wine or beer the night before and it'll thrive.

cheers,
M

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Used to grow on walls of a house i lived in, scraped some into a tin that kept for ages but lost at some point.

Also, when I was eighteen it used to grow inside the lower level in this old monastery I lived at (step father was head gardener to the estate), pee'd on it wall and it grew really well!! Ended up making some basic black powder that was reasonably ok.....

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Just mind to pee on it after you've had a fair bit of red wine or beer the night before and it'll thrive.

Aye, well, no real problems there right enough... ;)

I'll add it to the "TODO - Allotment" list. Might get around to it in, oh... 2015 or something. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE