Salt Water Enema

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
For all the good it did me I might as have put it up my ****...
trainspotting_renton.gif

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
If I remember rightly, I think I saw "Bear" doing "it" to himself whilst on a raft !!!!!! I'm no expert but I would assume that any intake of saltwater would be harmful !!! No matter which end you drink it from
C:\Users\c783714\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif
C:\Users\c783714\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

I think he used "dirty" fresh water from a rookery, not salt water - at least in the raft episode I'm thinking of

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
JoshS,
With regard to your original question, "Is [a salt water enema] a legit technique for staying hydrated, or just a rumour?"

Although I'm be extremely wary of anything read on the internet, why allow these well informed rationalists to influence and spoil your enjoyment of the countryside? I'm sure there are a number of Bushcrafters who actively research such techniques... in fact I've even heard rumours of groups who dress up in cammo-gear and do just that.

The therapeutic value of colonic irrigation is well publicised and has become very popular over the past 20 or so years, and if it's good enough for certain television celebrities and the Royal Family, then it is most certainly good enough for Bushcrafters.

Having said that though, I'd be extremely wary of practicing the technique on my local beach or woodland due to the real possibility of being discovered holding a flotsam 2 ltr soft drinks bottle full of sea water, attached to a length of garden hose plugged into my rubber-ring-gear, as I think that one might just make the front page of the local newspaper!

Cheers,

Pango.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
In the early 70's a guy named Dougal Robertson and his family were forced to take to a life raft when their yacht sank suddenly one night. They were adrift for 38 days and when they ran critically low on water he used salt water enemas to keep the family alive. He did write about it in a long out of print book called "survive the savage sea" where he described the method in some detail.

JoshS

Nov 16, 2010
Outside
Manacles I just did a google search for "Dougal Robertson enema" and this http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...QONzOz3AQ&ved=0CGoQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false
came up page 94 says it was a mixture of rainwater, turtle blood and seawater in the bottom of their dinghy, not pure seawater. I read that book years ago but had forgotton and don't have it now, thank you for reminding me it's a very interesting book.

Pango I was just curious and would like to know the theory and rely on other peoples ahem "research" personally I can think of 1001 things I would rather do at the beach than shoving some flotsam where the sun don't shine but different strokes for different folks!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE