Salad servers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
A number of years ago, I made a (very rough and crude) pair of salad servers out of some hazel. Time has passed, as it will, and I thought I'd try my hand at another pair and here they are:

IMG_1377.JPG

The wood is ash, courtesy of Railtrack. They have been carved out of a single piece as I thought it would be fun to create a sort of 2-out-of-1-type of thing. They have a relentlessly sanded finish, a personal preference, and have been oiled, using a really good food-safe oil made by Osmo.

IMG_1380.JPG
IMG_1379.JPG
IMG_1382.JPG
IMG_1381.JPG

There remain one or three annoying little 'assymetries' but maybe the next lot will turn out better but, that said, I do like the grain and the pallor of the wood. They are a present for someone very special...

IMG_1378.JPG

Any feedback is most gratefully received. Many thanks for looking.

Richard

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
A number of years ago, I made a (very rough and crude) pair of salad servers out of some hazel. Time has passed, as it will, and I thought I'd try my hand at another pair and here they are:

The wood is ash, courtesy of Railtrack. They have been carved out of a single piece as I though it would be fun to create a sort of 2-out-of-1-type of thing. They have a relentlessly sanded finish, a personal preference, and have been oiled, using a really good food-safe oil made by Osmo

There remain one or three annoying little 'assymetries' but maybe the next lot will turn out better but, that said, I do like the grain and the pallor of the wood. They are a present for someone very special.

Any feedback is most gratefully received. Many thanks for looking.

Richard

Annoying "assymetries" ? They look great to me.

Glass-Wood-Steel

Jul 31, 2016
Cheshire
They look really good Richard, I am sure your friend will be delighted.
It is always the case that the maker can see the flaws but from the picture they have a crisp and even finish. Straight handles, round bowls and a well carved slot. I really like the way the cross pattern in the grain of the bowls are present in each piece!

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Excellent work! That grain looks very pleasing. You would have to pay a lot of money to get something nearly as good as those in a shop.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Beautiful. The tiny assymetries bring out the overall symmetry.
Well selected wood, well designed servers and very beautifully crafted!

There is a Japanese expression for including a tiny 'fault' in a perfectly made item, just do not remember it now.
Increases the esthetics.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Thank you very much to everyone for your compliments - they are greatly appreciated, coming, as they do, from extremely talented and knowledgeable bushcrafters. I have to admit that I was lucky with the piece of wood...

Thank you all again!

Reactions: Glass-Wood-Steel

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tiley, those are absolutely beautiful :D I love the shape, the wood, the grain, the finish, the whole entirety of the set.

I'm sure the recipient will be delighted with them.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Tiley, those are absolutely beautiful :D I love the shape, the wood, the grain, the finish, the whole entirety of the set.

I'm sure the recipient will be delighted with them.

Thank you, Toddy. I'm not convinced that I deserve such praise: it is the wood that is beautiful, not what I've done to it.

I wish I could share your confidence about the recipient's delight; I'm not convinced she will be... Still, that's another story entirely!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, they are scoundrels if they dont.

this is a really neat and professional piece of work.

(Dont eat salads and so no need of salad servers...)

(I have several horn sets though...including one of a similar design, oddly)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE