SAK trail master serrated edge removal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ringonotts

Dec 23, 2011
Basingstoke
Hi,

I've had this pen knife for about six weeks now and whilst I am getting more used to the serrated edge I'm still not happy with it.

It's great for it's purpose - which I imagine is survival orientated more than anything (it is the same knife as the soldier version as far as I can tell). However, I like to use my knife for whittling wood. And the serrated blade is rubbish for this.

Does anyone know if it is possible to grind down the blade to remove the serrations, put a bevel on both sides and add a point to the blade without damaging the quality of the metal?

Someone has advised me that grinding the knife will get it very hot which could ruin its properties in terms if strength and hardness.

Sorry I don't know all the right terms but hopefully you get my point.

Ringo
uteqe6a5.jpg

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
You certainly could grind the serrations off, but it might be easier to trade that one here and buy a new one. I personally think the serrations on that knife are just right, perfect place on the blade and great for yard work.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Easy enough to grind them off, belt grinder or sander would be easiest, but could use a grinder with stone or file by hand, it would need to be kept cool to avoid problems with losing it's temper but that's easy enough if you're sensible and careful. Did my one and much prefer without serrations :)

Cheers, Paul

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
I've done one. Just use the same action as you would to sharpen your knife but with a really low grit until the serrations are all gone. Took me about 15mins to do this then another 30mins to smarten it up and sharpen the scratches out.

Much easier on a diamond stone, but it will work.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I did my one hand Trekker a few years back, I just ground the serrations down, cooling a lot then slapped it on the good old Tormek -7 with the small knife jig to put the edge back on. It's my absolute favourite folder.

ATB

Tom

ringonotts

Dec 23, 2011
Basingstoke
Thanks guys. I sent victorinox an email earlier asking them if its possible to buy the non serrated blades - i'll see if they come back to me.

I'll be honest with you, im very nervous about wrecking the blade if i mess with it. I'll think about giving it a go!

I also saw the one handed sentinel which has a non-serrated blade on it and wondered whether to buy that and swap the blades..

Cheers,

Ringo

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'm sure if you ask a knife maker or tinkerer here they could do it for you for a minimal charge. It really won't take long and anyone with even a file or dremel tool can do a fine job!

ringonotts

Dec 23, 2011
Basingstoke
Victorinox got back to me and said it would cost 10 euro and 8-10 weeks to change the blade. I'm happy with the cost but can't be without a knife for 10 weeks. Think I'll give it a go myself...

Cheers,

Ringo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE