SAK Sheath Ideas

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I'm looking to make myself a little leather sheath for my SAK as I've started getting increasingly worried about losing it.

Does anyone have any ideas for a sheath for it which would be slightly different..? i.e not just a bog standard belt holder with a popper closure system... Pictures would be awesome if you have any.

Thanks for the help

Harry

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
Check out Ian Atkinson leather http://www.ianatkinson.net/leather/ he does some interesting bits plus he has tutorials on youtube too which are pretty handy.

as for an usual design that should be your own. have a look around and combine ideas, tooled friction fit pouches look good but it would be harder to do on a SAK as they're uniform (ie not tapered).

decide on your closure system, i like sam browne studs, but there are other ways, look at belt pouch designs, a toggle of antler or tooth would look good.
decide where you want to put it, there are many methods of fixing things to belts. how about a modular one that you can attach to most things? neck pouch, ankle pouch? (crocodile dundee stylie?!)

also have look at the Austalian Stockman belt designs, belt and pouch all in one.

the other thing you could do is look at knotting one, i believe the term is macramé.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Tanks for that advice tipi, that webiste looks good.

Brancho, I remember you doing a tutorial (?) on here for the SAK a few years ago and thats the knife! Does it stay in the sheath ok or does it fall out?

Cheers Robbi, thats another nice looking sheath!

Thanks

Harry

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Have a look through LuckyLee`s posts and there is a great one that incorporates a torch too. Very nice.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Brancho, I remember you doing a tutorial (?) on here for the SAK a few years ago and thats the knife! Does it stay in the sheath ok or does it fall out?

Harry
I can ask the guy I made it for but its unlikely to fall out as was a good snug fit and it sat deep in it. Using half tanned leather made it easier to make and seriously stiff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE