Safety Razors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Does anybody know any shops ( not on line ) in the North West say 30m radius of Manchester who stocks safety razors, badger brushes, soaps, blades etc

I am sure I have seen a shop in Manchester but for the life of me I can't find it

Any help would be fantastic

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Crabtree and Evelyn also stock shaving stuff, and you might have one local to you? Do you have a John Lewis - they stock some stuff, and Superdrug also stocks some.

Asda and Tesco, and possibly Morrisons stock some shave soaps.

Cheers

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I was going to suggest Boots and John Lewis as well. Especially if you what a better choice. Soap Sticks go with the palmolive my fav

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Got my safety razor of internet, a Macur Futura. Expensive but lovely to use and will last a lifetime, way better then the Boots one. Although the Boots one is a good introduction to safety razors as they are a totally different experience to modern multiblade junk. Got my brush of the net too and after over 18months use is still as new. Soap and blades is easy, Wilko or boots... Although I'm using some 1950's Sheffield carbon steel blades from my grandads old stuff at the moment. Scary sharp!!

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Collecting shaving brushes can be harder on the wallet than collecting knives. My modest collection of Simpsons...

chubby07.jpg

The #2 Chubby, in "super" and faux ivory. Lovely brush. To the right is a "Colonel" in super and at the back is a #56 in best.

Last edited:
There used to be a shop called Remingtons in the Manchester Arndale centre used to sell all kinds of stuff like that including razor strops. That is going back a LONG time though - no idea if it is still there or elsewhere in the Manchester area.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I use a Merkur 34c and usually Derby blades. Excellent razor. I've tried feather blades, but cut meself to ribbons - too sharp for me. I have shaved once with a cutthroat, but it was a very nervous experience, a rubbish shave and I did bleed. I leave that for the real men and stick with DE safety razors I think. :D

For soap, if you can get hold of "Mitchells Woolfat" get some, it's awesome stuff, especially with a little blob of cream.

i also second the stuby no.2 as its a brillaint brush . i started with a safety razor when i started shaving many many years ago, i leant to use a straight razor or a cut throat as some call them when i lived and worked in the middle east , to learn to use it i went to the local barber and asked him to teach me , it took five times with him before i got the hang of it, adams apple and chin were the worst, the one tip i saw and will share is to blunt the very end point, thats why some razors have a curved corner rather than a straight sharp corner other wise you cut the ear lobe off.

is it me or does any others use a propper shaving set up, a proper brush and soap and a safety or straight razor

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Theres a excellent tobacconists in the centre of town that does shaving gear, got me a badger brush there when I was last wearing muttonchops in the summer rather than my usual full set.

Aston C
8 Royal Exchange Arcade, Manchester, M2 7EA
0161 832 7895

Also sells empty wooden cigar boxes which I find handy for storage in the shed

ATB

Tom

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
i also second the stuby no.2 as its a brillaint brush . i started with a safety razor when i started shaving many many years ago, i leant to use a straight razor or a cut throat as some call them when i lived and worked in the middle east , to learn to use it i went to the local barber and asked him to teach me , it took five times with him before i got the hang of it, adams apple and chin were the worst, the one tip i saw and will share is to blunt the very end point, thats why some razors have a curved corner rather than a straight sharp corner other wise you cut the ear lobe off.

is it me or does any others use a propper shaving set up, a proper brush and soap and a safety or straight razor

It's not just you, I've noticed a few on here doing it the traditional way. I've used straight razors since I was 21, I'm 35 now. It put the joy into shaving for me. Couldn't stand it before then but I don't like having facial hair so I had to find something I liked. I have no end of razors and soaps and creams and brushes and hones and strops and colognes and aftershaves and and and...it can certainly get expensive if you don't keep it in check! I tend to restore razors and make my own strops and enjoy cheap soaps and creams as well as the posh ones so it isn't too expensive for me.

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
'Proper Shaving' - Better (once you have skills), more interesting (because you have skills) and cheaper to boot!

I started with a Merkur Progress so I could dial in how close a shave I'm getting. Brush, soap and other items quickly followed. I'm firmly with DE for everyday shaving.

Might be time to start learning cut-throat...

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
....is it me or does any others use a propper shaving set up, a proper brush and soap and a safety or straight razor

Definitely! Badger brush, shaving soap and safety razor is my almost daily-use set up, and I have no intention of going back to cartridges.

Cheers

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Theres a excellent tobacconists in the centre of town that does shaving gear, got me a badger brush there when I was last wearing muttonchops in the summer rather than my usual full set.

Aston C
8 Royal Exchange Arcade, Manchester, M2 7EA
0161 832 7895

Also sells empty wooden cigar boxes which I find handy for storage in the shed

ATB

Tom

Cheers Tom

Called into Manchester today and picked up a Merkur razor, badger brush, soap , blades and oil, aftershave balm etc

The chap at Astons was very helpfull having said that I spent £100 but cant wait to try it all out

Out of interest they also sell some very nice Case and similar pocket knives , as well as being a traditional old fashioned tobaconist , had some lovery pipes also

All in all a very good shop for a man to visit

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Tesco sells shaving brushes, safety razor blades and shaving soap.
Asda and Wilkinsons also sell the blades.
Getting on well with the 1966 Gillette Slim Adjustable that my wife bought me for Christmas

gan_pi

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2011
Manchester, UK
Aston's is one of the shops I can't drag myself away from....which usually ends up being expensive.

Merkur razors are top, matched with a decent brush and shaving soap you find yourself wondering why you ever used the disposable carp. Soap I find lasts an absolute age, blades about a month. I've not figured out the details, but its got to be far more 'green' than going through the aerosol type cans etc.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
If anyone comes across a Wilkinsons Sword Hair/beard trimmer while visting gentlemens' requisite shops, please let me know. Wilkinson stopped production when they were taken over by a German company. It takes two Wilkinson razor blades and was originally designed for cutting your own hair. I have one and use it to cut my hair and trim my beard, but I'd really like a spare. Ta!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE