Safety Always...

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Sorry to hear about it and trust you're mending well.

I know I'm going to sound really pedantic but axe injuries are usually not 'lacerations'.

A laceration is a tearing injury to skin (eg from a boxer's gloved fist) whereas edged tools usually cause a fairly neat but deeper cut, (called an incised wound).

Doctors and nurses often get this wrong.

Of course, if it was a very glancing blow it could be a laceration!

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
if you want to see how its going this is my had after 3 days.
ftg0to.jpg

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Wow, thats a whopper! You'll have a great scar to show for it though. :)

Looks like its mostly soft tissue damage, rather than tendons. Can you move your fingers ok, is their a numb feeling in the tips?

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Brian said:
Hi,

Glad your not too bad mate and good to see you had your FAK with you. The other thing to bear in mind is that you may need to open your FAK with one hand as the other is the injured part of your body, so to make sure it isn't too difficult to open. Just a thought, might have to go and have a look at mine now. :rolleyes:

Brian

A good point. Not every one can open let alone tie a FA dressing on their own hand /arm so practise is needed.

Have you thought of sanitary pads for additional absorbtion? With the sticky strip on the back they keep in place on the triangular or roller bandage. We keep them in the kit as a cheap and good option/addition

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
First aid kits definitely fall into the "Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" category.

I like to do a "Take Two" before using an axe or a knife. As you go to pick up the blade, just take a couple of minutes to think about the potential risks in what you are about to do (even if, or especially when, you do it every day).

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
A quick tip is i like to chop in one hit a branch about the same thickness as my finger then take a moment to visualise :eek: n shudddddeerrr

This usually helps to bring into reality the cutting power of a paper coiling sharp gransforths axe.

Also besides hurting a vast amount it will spoil your very sparse and precious outdoors time ;)

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Xairborne - thank you for sharing the anecdote. Thought the picture particularly useful - in a non- ghoulish way. Really drives home what you were describing and the possible result of a split second inattention. There is always a bruised pride in these things as well - so your post is very appreciated.

The most dangerous/ at risk person is the one who thinks it will never happen to me - at least you had FAK to hand, so 'copped one' despite things.

In so far as deriving a positive - looks a clean wound and healing well - speaking volumes for using sharp tool ( laceration v incision Doc ) and having safety kit to hand.

I deeply regret not paying attention to the first aid course offered recently on the forum. Despite quite intensive training in previous life, if I am brutually honest, my training is way past sell by.

Your injury area seems a real Jonah point, it is the fourth I have seen in ex service ( assumption from your handle - Ad Unum Omnes! ) -

All names and places fudged to protect national security -

1. Harold - having just survived a close street contact - taking three rounds of 9mm through his new man at C & A trousers ( very flared ), got distracted as he closed the door of a Ford Sierra - crunching left hand between thumb and forefinger beautifully!
2. Fittest guy I ever knew - Claud - lost his temper opening a tin of Corned Beef ( it was Argy ) the tin won - severly incising the exact same spot. Claud was so muscle bound I could only stem the flow by standing on his arm!
3. Rupert - on film, mid way through demonstrating a Deer lardering course. At point where demonstrating how to safely sever leg joint and remove leg - with freshly sharp knife - did everything wrong - cut in exact same point - which took out the tendon as well. ( He was ex Black Watch )
4. X Airborne now maintains this proud tradition - is it perhaps a previously unidentified PTSD symptom? :cool:

Thank you again for the very useful lesson and reminder to stay focussed and prepare for anything ( Untrinque Paratus ).

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
It’s all healed up nicely now, It’s only if I really knock it I get pain, so im very lucky. I have great respect for my axe now and I cringe every time someone asks to borrow it, I insist they be careful and always look what it will hit if they miss before they swing.

photos0170ov5.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE