Sabre 45 + Pouches.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Footzo

Jan 17, 2007
UK
Hi All,

My first post here and I'm hoping some of you can help me out.
I have an ex issue Bergen 100l + side pouches which I thought were 12.5l each.
The mice have had the main bergen and it's now full of holes and it's the excuse I've been looking for to buy a smaller pack. Luckily the pouches are fine.
The sabre 45 is obviously very highly rated and that could be the answer but I'm confused and don't want to spend any cash until I'm sure.
So I guess the question is are all PLCE side pouches created equal? :confused:
I've read on the Karrimor website (and here) that the pouches are 10l not 12.5l. Can I be sure that If I purchase a sabre 45 that my pouches will fit? Maybe my memory is going and the side pouches are 10l and not 12.5l but I'm sure the whole thing was 100 + 25? They have the clips top and bottom and zips on the side plus the little strap loops (which I've never used.)
My bergen isn't brand new but I guess it's less than 10yrs old. I'm not interested in the yoke or similar - just the ability to up the capacity of the sabre when necessary.
If it doesn't work out then it'll be the snugpak rocketpak and I'll have to work out what to do with the two spare side pouches.
Do you think I'm safe to jump in or is my bag old and there's been an upgrade that I can't find?
Thanks for any help and advice in advance.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Footzo and welcome aboard. I bought the Web-Tex plce rucksack that had the side pouches with it, but i found that the main sack was to big as i kept filling it up and ended carrying far to much kit ,so i bought the Sabre 45 and took the pouches off the plce and just zipped them onto the Sabre and they fit on no problem. I use this set up all the time and it works a treat.

I don't know if other side pouches are made to a standard spec though. Maybe someone with more knowledge will be able to shed some light on this.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I don' t have a definitive answer for you, but I would be fairly confident that 12litre side pockets, if they are PLCE compatible, would fit the Sabre 45. The zippers on the 10L pouches that I have are longer than the pockets themselves, giving the impression that you would have a longer pocket, with the same zip length. The zip mates with the main pack, hence, the main pack should be able to take slightly longer pockets than the 10L ones. If that makes any sense :p

I bought the Sabre 45 and then went and got a used pair of pockets for about
£10 from an army surplus store. I used to have the Rocket Pack and it absolutely killed my back, it having a short back length and my not using web gear.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I have two pairs of PLCE pouches now.

A DPM pair which actually belong to a friend who was in the army (and he wants them back).

And now an Olive Green pair that I bought Grade 1 surplus and have a strange musty smell that washing will not get rid of!

Both these sets fitted my Sabre 45 fine, I think some sellers just give the PLCE pouches different litre capacities, Ive seen 12.5l & 15l and both seem identical.

I'd go for it.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The smell will eventually wear off. Best bet is to hang them in the garden for a few weeks, let the weather work on them. That is what I had to do, the smell was pretty off-putting, but it went away eventually.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I tried to run a group buy a while ago and have an answer.

PLCE is a standard, if it has PLCE on it they must be compatible with each other. Even if they are a different size, the PLCE side pockets will fit a Sabre (mine did) and vice versa.

I would like to ask a question about the sabre, people seem to highly rate them and i guess their price tag reflects the build quality but when shopping around i get 2 options one being DPM at extra cost, i guess this means damp proof membrane or similar i would like to know what are the benefits of DPM and is it worth the extra cost, should i stick to the standard version if i decide to buy? thanks

Footzo

Jan 17, 2007
UK
Superb stuff - Thank you All.

Looks like I'm safe and away with the cards.

Anyone like to suggest a good source or price I can expect to pay?

Regards again all and many thanks. :D

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Nomad_of_Soul - It stands for Disruptive Pattern Material (or Camouflage to you and me ;) ) . The difference in price I suspect is therefore due to cost of producing the material pattern.

Footzo - one of the cheapest places I could find is here . I too am contemplating a purchase so if anyone knows of a cheaper site I would also be interested to hear :)

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Nomad_Of_Soul said:
I would like to ask a question about the sabre, people seem to highly rate them and i guess their price tag reflects the build quality but when shopping around i get 2 options one being DPM at extra cost, i guess this means damp proof membrane or similar i would like to know what are the benefits of DPM and is it worth the extra cost, should i stick to the standard version if i decide to buy? thanks

DPM is, I think, Disruptive Pattern Material. Camo.

Good if you want to hide in the woods. Wildlife watching ;)

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Nomad_Of_Soul said:
thanks for replying, now i know, think i'll stick to the cheaper version i can always use leaves and stuff for camo. Great link btw, cheapest yet. :You_Rock_
In case you hadn't noticed the only colour available from the link is Black as opposed to Olive Green so might be difficult to get matching pouches for :rolleyes:

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Silverback said:
Nomad_of_Soul - It stands for Disruptive Pattern Material (or Camouflage to you and me ;) ) . The difference in price I suspect is therefore due to cost of producing the material pattern.

Footzo - one of the cheapest places I could find is here . I too am contemplating a purchase so if anyone knows of a cheaper site I would also be interested to hear :)

No thats the best price I could find as well.

Incidentally best price for PLCE pouches is here:

Grade 1 surplus £9.95, they also do a version with a yoke for £19.95:

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shopscr2215.html

Or these do them new for £34.99 (click link and do a search for PLCE), not sure if thats the best price new though?

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/military/index.asp

Oct 8, 2006
East Sussex
Silverback said:
In case you hadn't noticed the only colour available from the link is Black as opposed to Olive Green so might be difficult to get matching pouches for :rolleyes:

Try this link to gear zone site, it should give a colour option (black or olive) for the Sabre 45 at the same price - although it does say 'special order 14 - 21 day delivery'.

http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Karrimor-Sabre-45.html

hope this is useful

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Quick tip for you . When buying side pockets (especially the older green ones) it might be best to phone your order through . I did a net transaction and ended up with a pair that zipped together , but the other zips are knacered big time . Had to get them re zipped
Pumbaa

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
This place do Sabre 45's cheap (£63.75) and there in stock. I know how annoying it can be to wait for a back ordered item only to be told a few weeks later that the shop can't get them in anymore. :banghead:

http://www.aktive8.com/p/Karrimor/Day-Packs/Sabre-45-Rucksack/03-6030.html

I got mine from John Bull, which was more expensive but at the time the above link (Active8) only had the black one in stock.

I didn't have a problem with my PLCE pouches, they were in very good condition, apart from the musty smell, where did you get yours from Pumbaa?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
If you're looking for one, or for side pouches, or anything else similar: phone Endicott's! I got a new Sabre 45 (older model, mk2, I think, in US woodland camo), grade 1 olive side pouches, a grade 1 olive daysack yoke and extender straps, for about £45... ;) :D

Kevin's a top bloke to deal with, and his prices are just inexplicable. :)

No connection, other than as a very satisfied customer.

Footzo

Jan 17, 2007
UK
Hello again all,

I was in conversation with an ex-army guy last night and he's trying to convince me that the sabre45 just isn't big enough - even with the pouches on.
He's suggesting a 'turtle pack' which I can't find a picture of and the only comment on here I can find via the search engine is "don't touch the turtle pack!" :lmao:

So, sorry to impose further but: does anyone know of or have a picture of a sabre 45 actually sitting on someone's back?

Thanks again for you help.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE