SAAS Ventile smock on ebay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I'ts always worth a rummage!
I managed to find a DPM Ventile (SAS style) smock, in an army surplus shop in a box full of trashed DPM combat jackets marked (i think) any Jacket £7!
sadly it had no label or markings at all but I assume it was made by "SASS" or perhaps "RADAR", it's old and a bit worn needed to fix a couple of holes but works amazingly, has identical features to any standard SAS/Arctic smock (nothing extra) so difficult to say exactly where it came from, but as you'd expect it is soft when dry and stiffens almost like cardbord when wet, comfortable to wear as a shirt and outerlayer!
the moral of the tale...always check the bargain bins in surplus shops!

BTW, when I bought it I didn't realise it was ventile i just knew it was different I then had to Google the oddities about the fabric.
It first caught my eye because the "black" of the DPM looked odd, almost like it was everso slightly shiney almost as though it was a different sort of ink or it had had been added later. Also the print can't be seen on the inside of the fabric, I later found that there is a technical reason because it's difficult to print on ventile.

Last edited:

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I had a snipers jacket made by them about 30 odd years ago, when I was in the TA ( I was lucky enough to go on one of the first TA Sniper Cadres back then, although our battalion refused to let us have the L42A1's after doing the course, they just sat locked up in the battalion HQ armoury ). IIRC it was a bit of a mash up off a couple of their smocks, webbing foliage loops, bottom pockets to the side and not front, full width poachers pocket.

In the summer I could do a whole weekend loadout, just with the jacket and 58 webbing, no rucksack. I do remember it was much heavier than the standard jack and can't for the life of me think how or who I sold it to.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE