Saami inspired travel sew kit--with thanks to a few members for the pieces

Morning All
Just had a wee potter about whilst Jake sleeps off some of his nasty cold.
ages back I received some deer bones from shambling shaman and finally got around to using one for something
I've always like the Saami sewing kits you see but i cant afford to buy one myself so a little bit of saw work and some aggressive sandpapering got me the bone sized and nicely polished to a decent smoothness.
A scrap off cut of leather and piece of leather thong make up the needle holder, in there is one glovers needle and two saddlers needles.
The Brass shotgun base came from Bare Thrills i punched the firing pin out which allows me to thread the thong through it to pull the needle holding leather into the cavity of the bone. the Brass can also act as a thimble for tougher pieces of sewing.
Finally i was lucky enough to be sent a small Awl made by Everything Mac which fits nicely through the hole in the base's hole and is secured by the thong.
finally i wrapped an obscene amount of artificial Sinew around the outside, i will split this down as and when required
Apologies for the naff pics i used my phone as i cant find my camera at the moment.

and the contents on display

now i need to practice my scrimshaw and decide on a design

nice one bud!

i made a wee antler needle case yesterday, was going to make a saami one but went for a different design instead. will have it finished in a day or two, not as nice as yours though!
I'm Sure it will be Hamish

Oh I like that, nice work :)
thank you
its mainly intended for repairs rather than full on leather working but I'm pleased with it

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Very nice. Good use of the awl in there too which makes it a great kit for all sorts.

I have a neck hang antler one I made at the weekend of a different design so will be stealing your ideas for the sewing kit for this ;)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
That looks great, a much underrated bit of kit is the sewing kit I think.

Here is a pic of my wife's, to give you some ideas for a pattern.

DSC_0076.JPG

Nice work there Sam. goodjob

That is a cool sewing kit, Sam. Nice one, mate!

Very nice. Good use of the awl in there too which makes it a great kit for all sorts.

I have a neck hang antler one I made at the weekend of a different design so will be stealing your ideas for the sewing kit for this ;)

Woo i like that Sam

Looking very Nice

Dave
Thank you gentlemen.
It was only a quick n dirty one but I'm pleased with it so far

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE