S30V or 440C for new bushcrafter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
HI guys, I am getting a new Allan Blade Bushcrafter to replace the one I sold. Here is what I am after, stainless steel blade, flat ground, and either a Natural or Maroon Micarta handle.

What steel will be more hard use, 440C or S30V? Which will be easier to sharpen? Which will be stronger?

Any info, and opinions would be great.

PS if you haven't tried one of Allan Blade's knives you really should, great bargain, and real hard use knives.

Big Target I hope that the one I sold to you met all of your expectations.

:super:

Thanks for your help guys.

:biggthump

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Can we get a can of worms smiley please?

S30V is one of the super steel about. I haven't used it myself but heard lots about how great it is. There is nothing wrong with 440C but it's a fairly standard steel these days. S30V will be harder to sharpen but wont need it doing so often

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Just bear in mind that whether you go for 440C or S30V (S30V is certainly the current "wonder steel" in the eyes of most) that as a flat grind the edge is going to be a big job to maintain.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
flat grind, to me is from spine to cutting edge, not a scandi grind. So this should not be too hard to maintain.

Which steel will be easier to sharpen?

Geoffrey.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Ahhh, flat grind with a small secondary bevel ... OK that makes it a lot easier.

Personally I'd go S30V for performance.

R

rlinger

440C will not be as timely to resharpen. Between the two choices S30V is the one I recommend for this knife - hands down.

RL

leon-1

Squidders said:
What's wrong with good ol' D2? :?:

Not a great deal to be honest, but the way that S30V is made means that the way that the carbides are formed in the metal is very dense and even.

In the end S30V is slightly harder and I was expecting it to be slightly harder to sharpen, however so far that has not been the case, if anything so far I have found S30V easier to sharpen than D2.

I like D2 as the knives that I have in it have been very good, but the knives that I currently have in S30V seem to have the edge (no pun intended) :)

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
My Benchmade RSK is S30V. I honesly dont pay as much attention to the steel as the knife itself. My fallkniven S1 was my first high end steel product. I've had knives in 440. I would hands down go with S30V. If your having something made to begin with always go with the best.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
RWL34 is in the same family of stainless steels as S30V. It has the same evenly dispersed carbide characteristic giving rise to uniform hardness and, I am reliably informed, lends itself to the hardening process on par or better with that of S30V.

R

rlinger

RWL-34 is one of my favorite high alloy blade steels. Once upon a year and a few months back I did some extensive heat treat experiments on it. RWL-34 takes a fine sheen and is edge retentive.

RL

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Roger, why didn't you say that before. :rolmao: :wink:

I think 440C is great stuff and always have. But so far, all my experiences with S30V have been really positive. I've probably handled maybe 6 knives with this steel and have been impressed with all of them. 99% of what I've heard from others has been positive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE