Rusty Flat Skillet in need of a refurb...??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello All
Looking at possibly getting hold of a cast iron flat skillet from my local antiques shop..but it's very rusty.
My question is can it be refurbished to a standard where I can using it for baking on?
Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Greg

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Rust will come off in a number of ways my current favourite is a soak in molasses mixed with water - it's called chelating and just eats the rust. A slow process but good.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Brillo pad (probably several) hot water and elbow grease. Then scrub it clean in hot water and fairy liquid. Rinse until you can wipe it dry with paper towels and there's no staining.
The bottom doesn't need to be as perfect though; all my old cast iron pots and girdles are pitted underneath, but they cook superbly.

To be honest I can't be bothered faffing around seasoning them; I just fry in/on them for a bit and wipe them clean every time and with a fresh wipe of oil. I just use sunflower. Olive goes thick and sticky, and I don't eat meat so I won't use dripping on them and I'm not a fan of the hydrogenated stuffs.
The girdles/bakestones I leave on top of the cooker and they are slid over the switched off rings when I've finished cooking. It seasons them fine, and no stinking black smoke in the house.
Use them, make pancakes, scones, oatcakes, naan, on the flat ones, within a couple of weeks of use they'll be pretty much perfect.

I know, I'm a housewife :eek: and most of you lot are 'men with tools' :D I like a simple life :D

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What hob do you have? I had to get rid of a bunch of cast iron stuff when we switched to halogen. Not flat enough.

It's an electric one with the cast flat rings. A bit like this but mine has extra fast heat rings.
http://www.shipitappliances.com/hob...MIvpHH-OfA1QIVBLXtCh2tbANuEAQYAiABEgLww_D_BwE

I had to buy a new girdle because the old ones were too big for it :sigh:
I ended up with one of these
https://www.johnlewis.com/kitchen-c...VTr7tCh0DlghNEAQYASABEgKRQ_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's been surprisingly good for a piece of modern casting.

I've been eyeing up an induction hob, but I'm swithering.

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Best to ask Tombear of this parish. He has bought and revived more rusty carboot specials that maybe all others combined.
His before and after pictures are amazing = yes, it can be done well.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I used a round wire brush in the chuck of a drill to get off the worst of it. Then heated on a fire or on the gas hob while the kettle is coming up to the boil. Rinsed with hot water from the kettle and set back on the heat to dry it and finally a big handful of the coarsest sea salt I have, rubbed around with a very very thick wad of kitchen roll. At this point, the iron and salt are hot enough to just scorch the paper, so long sleeves, gloves and eye-protection are advisable.

Another rinse with boiling water, back on the heat and then when the iron is dry a bit of oil to start seasoning… From a really manky and rusty pot to usable in less than an hour.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks for the replies...I'll go spend the £8 on it tomorrow and bring it back to life in one way or another :You_Rock_

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44173&highlight=seasoning+cast+iron

This is a good tutorial on seasoning. As for getting the rust off, in the past I've used a citric acid soln in a plastic tub to get most of it off and wire wool/sandpaper. then season it after the rust is off. It took a fair bit of time, but it was worth it.

If you use citric acid it will remove rust, but also eat the sound metal quite fast, and smell like a veggies fart. It will work (I used it quite a bit on tool refurbing at one time but consider electolysis removal method far better, much gentler and not destructive) If you do try it, make sure you have some strong alkali like bleach to neutralise the acid or else it will start to rust again in minutes, even if you think you rinsed it thoroughly

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
If it's years of crud a self cleaning oven with pyro works a treat. A brillo pad works a treat after that.

tried blow torch/brushes on drills but pyro oven is so easy (if you have one that is).

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I used a wire brush on a drill to get the majority of the rust off then finished with a brillo pad. I season all my iron and steel pans with lard, after cooking they get a wipe with plain veg oil. Works very well but i only relay use them for steak or other meat and for cooking over the fire.

Tonyuk

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Burn it, oil it, scrape it. Then repeat. Most of our Iron-wear lives in the woods hanging from trees. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE