Rusty buckles help...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hunkyfunkster

Mar 2, 2015
Loch Lomond
Hi guys.

Today I took delivery of an order from Military Mart. Got some really nice bits too. I wanted a nice wee day pack for dog walkies and stuff, so i ordered a Yugoslavian 20l pack. It's in pretty good nick overall, but all the buckles are rather rusty.

Can I soak the buckles in something that'll remove the rust without damaging the webbing, or will I have to pick them off and sew them back on after? If this is the case, I'll replace them with new ones. If I can avoid this that'd be great

Thanks in advance

Alex

nunzionuk

soaking them in vinegar is the way to go, but that will soak into the webbing.

I guess you could try putting the vinegar on with cotton balls or something? But personally, I'd pick the threads and resew them after cleaned up.

Hunkyfunkster

Mar 2, 2015
Loch Lomond
I was thinking vinegar, but wasn't sure how it would affect the straps.

I'll give it a try if I can find some white vinegar, only got malt in the house

Thanks

Alex

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
White vinegar can be found in most supermarket chains, still got some asda branded in the cupboard from a mammoth pickling and rusty tool cleaning episode last year.
Adding bicarbonate of soda to it on the tool cleaning bit seemed to help too.
Another method of cleaning off rust on tools for me has been WD40 or turps with some wire wool and elbow grease, might be a bit easier to control cleaning area this way.
Rob.

Hunkyfunkster

Mar 2, 2015
Loch Lomond
Where would one acquire citric acid?

As for white vinegar, my asda sells malt vinegar and "non-brewed condiment". I'm not sure what non brewed condiment even is...

Alex

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Citric acid.. lemons maybe? lol not as pure as the bottled stuff, but still the same but with water and sugar.

I'd not bother with any acid soak mate, just use sand paper to get off the loose rust and oil them after. It's alot of hassel soaking attached bits and even more the remove them, soak them and put them back on. A simple sand and oil.

Or.. dremel tool and a little wire wheel to flick off all the rust then oil.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
I had the same problem with the same pack.

So I masked off all the metalwork with masking tape. Then I knocked back all the rust with sandpaper and wire wool. Then painted with black enamel paint - the sort used for Airfix. The end result's pretty good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE