Running and bushcraft and camping and stuff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
So, I've been back from away for nearly three weeks, and haven't written up my trip report or even finished my journal on paper. Too many other things going on - starting college part time (Archaeology at Oxford Uni), doing a TEfL course (one exam to go and I've worked really hard on it and done three assignments and ten online assessments in the last three weeks), applying for stuff (language immersion next year where I speak English for a week to Hungarian English learners), and have just started running after a gap of oh dear, five years (and six months of bed ridden illness in between then and now).

So, in support of my running, anyone else want to do five k in five and a bit weeks time? We can run it virtually together? Me in Cardiff, you wherever.. We can message each other or start a thread and encourage each other - you don't even have to run, you could amble, or stroll or just be cheerleaders (those Pom-poms would suit you).

Oh and the bit about camping and bushcraft in the subject line was mainly to get you to read the thread - unless, and here's an idea, the running is to a bushcraft camping thing! or from a bushcraft camping thing! Or at a Bushcraft camping thing. I'm going to Rough Close in November, so maybe...

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Hope you get some takers Liz - great to encourage one another and all the best with reaching your goal - unfortunately I won't be one of them.
After reading all that you've been doing, I was feeling like a lie down before you even got to the running :lmao:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
...Oh and the bit about camping and bushcraft in the subject line was mainly to get you to read the thread - unless, and here's an idea, the running is to a bushcraft camping thing! or from a bushcraft camping thing! Or at a Bushcraft camping thing. I'm going to Rough Close in November, so maybe...

Happy to do that 5k :)

BUT ... and it might be too early in your schedule ... as you're coming to RC I should point out that there's a mile route using the site's tracks and paths (3.1 miles being 5k) and that I've a 5k* road running route (round the block, so to speak) mapped from the main drive of the site :D

* Roughly 5k, might be 6. I'd have to check :eek:

EDIT: The three 'long' sides of the block of the road route total, as close as can be, the 5k/3.1 miles. The remaining leg/side would add an additional 0.25 miles.

Last edited:

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"running is to a bushcraft camping thing! or from a bushcraft camping thing!"
Training for my first marathon, I did a hill race as a funrun while on holiday at Newtonmore - met a guy who lived near me who taught me the secret - tiny slow steps at the steep bits - yes, as easy as that + a pair of so-safe Walsh fell-running boots.
First time I tried hill-camping and running together, I got there in 20 mins, not out of breath, to a place that had previously taken 50 mins to walk to.
The sense of power is AMAZING, not to mention ground covered and new possible routes...

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
How's your training going then? :D Anything we can help with?

Anyone else up for joining in? As Lizz says in post #01, there' no need to run it, ambling/strolling/walking is fine too :) .

... So, in support of my running, anyone else want to do five k in five and a bit weeks time? ...

Do you have a specific day and/or time planned for your 5k yet? Just wondering as fore knowledge will allow for gentle tweaks to training/running schedules ;)

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
I'm happy to do a run around then even if it's not at the exact same time. Sunday afternoon is usually one of the few opportunities I have to get out. If you don't use it already, Strava is a fantastic app for recording your runs. Feel free to add me if you have it for evidence of my completed run!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think my running days are over Lizz but I wish you well. Quite liked cross country when younger but it would kill me now.
On the melding it with other hobbies there was a running forager on one of the early episodes of Hugh Fairly-Unstable's Cook On The Wild Side series. Mainly a mushroom forager but he used to do it on the run so that he'd cover more ground.
Good luck with the practice though.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Hello fellow runners - I ran three times last week - using the universal measurement of run between lampposts then walk then run and so on, on the first run. Second run it was run between two sets of lampposts and then walk briskly between two, third run, well you get the idea. This week I will be seeing how far can I run without walking on run one, on run two I will see if I can improve and on run three I will see how far I can go in half an hour. I almost enjoyed them! I've made the switch to zero drop shoes which I really like (yes the beasts with five fingers or a pair of vivo barefoot).

The aim is to run the full five k on the 29th if that is the Sunday! Seems awfully soon, but that may be because I'm a lazy so and so. And oh good about rough close by then I should be running every day or nearly rather than every other day.

Whoop whoop if you're joining in - either on the side lines or actually running. A couple of people have suggested apps tha you - I don't have a mobile phone so the distances and times are being measured on a slightly crap pedometer!

Ahh technology! Run run run

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... I ran three times last week - using the universal measurement of run between lampposts then walk then run and so on, on the first run. Second run it was run between two sets of lampposts and then walk briskly between two, third run, well you get the idea. This week I will be seeing how far can I run without walking on run one, on run two I will see if I can improve and on run three I will see how far I can go in half an hour.

An almost hybrid of fartlek, scout pace and Couch To 5 Km (C25K) ...

I moved into running using a C25K program :) .

... The aim is to run the full five k on the 29th if that is the Sunday! Seems awfully soon, but that may be because I'm a lazy so and so. And oh good about rough close by then I should be running every day or nearly rather than every other day.

You can't make the effort and run almost every day and still consider yourself _lazy_ ~ though I guess it does depend on what you were doing in your previous running schedule. I generally run 3 times a week. Sometimes I want to do more though ... always leave your body wanting more :)

... A couple of people have suggested apps tha you - I don't have a mobile phone so the distances and times are being measured on a slightly crap pedometer!

Don't rule apps out too soon :) .

Most, if not all, of the apps will be backed up by a website. On the website you can usually plot and save potential routes. Once back at the PC (Mac/Tablet etc) you can go into the website and log the route and add the time.

And if you've run a new route on speculation you can plot those in after the fact too. Some/most apps and ttheir sites,, will also allow you to add notes to your sessions.

It can be a good way to/keep tabs on _stuff_ :D

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I was doing great then completely Crocked my knee last week, I'm now still limping and not running. I can feel all the gains slipping away, it's so sad. But will start again once I can do more than hobble, or wince alternate steps.

How are other people doing? Rah rah rah, go go go... That's cheerleading from the sidelines in case you couldn't tell.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Sorry to hear that Lizz :( . Do you know what led to the injury? Let yourself heal, it's the wise thing to do :D

I had a period of discomfort. Pain in my shins when running ~ never a good thing! And my average pace was slowing (even more) :( :eek: . Turns out that my running shoes were the culprit. Visually they still _look_ okay but having now bought new shoes I now have no shin pain and my pace is back. So, no brainer ;)

Since the start of the month I've gone from pushing myself to do 5k three times a week to keep my hand in to having to restrict myself to slow increases* and to not add additional running sessions :D

* Currently at 6.5 to 6.8k in roughly the same time I was taking for the 5k runs of a month ago ;)

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Lizz
Check out Parkrun - I'm sure there's one near you. It's free to join and is on every Saturday morning - 5K. Great fun and a good way to meet other runners locally.
Cheers
Phil

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
A quick trip out this eve to do the run ~ a little longer than suggested but I'd only have to walk the additional bit anyway! :rofl:

Anyone else?

How's the knee coming along Lizz?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
You could always pop out now :D (if you haven't already run today). Hopefully Lizz's knee will heal quickly and she'll set a new date for us to join her return to 5k runs :D

I'll be doing it again next Sunday as part of an opt in challenge on the running app/site I use on my runs and you're welcome to virtually tag along :D .

(No need to restrict yourself to the 5k if you usually run further)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE