Rules and Regs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
What are the rules and regulations on where abouts you can and cannot go to practice bushcraft, can you just put up your basha in any old forest or what? I live in the heart of Sherwood Forest and really want to get out but am struggling for places to go.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Mylightweight

jakunen

Native
It very much depends on the landowner. But in general the answer is 'No, not without permission' from what I've gleaned from similar threads.

You can get away with it in most places as you're unlikely to meet the warden/ranger, not that I condone that sort of thing of course:0: but apart from places like the Higlands, there don't seem to be many places you can do it.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
jakunen said:
It very much depends on the landowner. But in general the answer is 'No, not without permission' from what I've gleaned from similar threads.

You can get away with it in most places as you're unlikely to meet the warden/ranger, not that I condone that sort of thing of course:0: but apart from places like the Higlands, there don't seem to be many places you can do it.

Actually Scottish law is dramatically different so it is not just the highlands. In Scotland you can wild camp pretty much anywhere, private or public land and in most circumstances you can have a fire. It is a legal right but best not abused as that could lead to the law being changed.

Not much good to you where you are but worth pointing ut.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Might I suggest that you use the search function and have a look for threads about access, campsites, open fires, National Trust, parks and meet ups.

This subject has been discussed at length elsewhere.

The simple answer is "No" you can't legally just put your basha where you like and camp. The long answer has filled several long threads.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Might be worth having a search for local woods and find out who owns them and asking them....a lot will say NO but if you're polite and ask enough landowners maybe one will let you.... or offer some of your labour in return maybe...or even to pay for the use.

Might also be worth asking the local Scout Troop leader where they go to do it...

Or look up some of the more rural campsites and either phone or better still pop in and speak to the warden....

Now that bushcrafting is getting more understood thanks to show's like RM's....they shouldn't look at you like your mad and so long as you pay your way and keep the place tidy they may be happy for you to use their campsite...

Hope that's of use to you....

I do mine on Charity owned land, I started off writing to the Trusties asking for permission to collect wood for my wood burning stove and as they saw me clearing the pathways and bridalways (I was clearing fallen trees to use and veggitation to get my log trolly through) they were well pleased as it saved them relying on volunteers to keep the paths clear and from there I asked if they minded me burning off some of the smaller off cut bowes from snedding the tree limbs...they knew me by then and were happy I wouldn't burn the whole place down and so said yes....then a while later I asked if they minded me camping out from time to time...again because they know me they said it was fine....although they thought I was mad wanting too! lol

What's that expression...."Softly, softly, catchy monkey"....seems apt here :p

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
bambodoggy said:
What's that expression...."Softly, softly, catchy monkey"....seems apt here :p

Surely they don't let you catch the monkeys as well :yikes:

Seriously that is the only legal way to do it. Most places will be pleased you want to clear their dead wood for them and they don't have to pay you to do it.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
tenbears10 said:
Surely they don't let you catch the monkeys as well :yikes:

Lol....be fun wouldn't it! I'm hoping to get them to allow me to snare rabbits on there soon but again it's a slow process.....need to show what damage the bunnies are doing to make them keener to allow me....
No point asking to use my rifle over there as the land is too open to the public and they (and me to be fair) would be too worried about back stop issues....and as mentioned in the NT thread, once I'm seen over there with a rifle it'll be open season for the local yobs to come and trash the place!

It was actually dead lucky (or unlucky depending on how you view litter) that the head of the board of Trusties (who's also the Borough Mayor) happened to come out to see me there just as I finished filling a black bag of rubbish which I hadn't been asked to do.....went a long way to helping my cause to camp and have fires.... that wasn't why I did it, I just hate to see litter everywhere in such a nice place but the timing was flukily perfect :eek:):

I am a local Scout leader and so I have struck up a deal with the campsite which is just down the road, put the problem is they won't let us have ground fires and the site is mainly open heath land and Gorse bush. They don't allow ground fires because the campsite went up in flames in the summer of 95 I think, it was Walesby Forest Scout Camp.
I just wish there was somewhere local that had trees and let you have ground fires and the like. :sulk:

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Maybe an "alter fire", we used them all the time in Scouts....not because of the fire risk so much but because it was easier to cook on them at "cooker height" if that makes sence.

Our Skipper had a metal frame made up of right angled steel and we just cut a few green logs to go on that and covered it over with mud....perfect!
The whole thing can be made anywhere from knee height to waist height and also made from all logs in the field rather than the steel we had....another good thing is that you never have to worry about the fire spreading underground once you "think" it's out and it leaves no scare on the land whatsoever.... great idea if you ask me! :p

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Mylightweight said:
What are the rules and regulations on where abouts you can and cannot go to practice bushcraft, can you just put up your basha in any old forest or what? I live in the heart of Sherwood Forest and really want to get out but am struggling for places to go.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Mylightweight

Mylightweight, I posted a load of info on the legislation regarding this today here:

http://www.bushcraftuk.net/community/showpost.php?p=64539&postcount=58

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE