Rucksacks: Half Full or Bursting at the Seams?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Ah Kifaru!

Close, Lowe (Alpine Sting)! I really do like it, it's hell of a comfy pack, but it's totally overkill for everything I've put it to. I think I'm going to pass it on to someone who could put it to use. I have an 80l highlander ruck which does me for more than 1 day, so I may try the drybag rucksack route. It'd save me having to bleedin' bag everything in my rucksack & using a pack cover, too!

I think a good remedy for bursting rucks, especially if you forage or carcamp, is something like a packable daybag or a fold away molle dump pouch.

Last edited:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
People cram their packs full and then strap stuff to the outside so they can off-handedly say things like, 'oh me? Well, all I need for a weekend out is a 35L pack...'

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
TBH....

If i am going lightweight hiking the I have a 70L that will easily hold everything and that's me for a week sorted!

If I am going bush-a-crafting then I end up taking my 70L with clothes, sleeping bag, underquilt, etc etc THEN my 45L with all my bushcrafty things... First aid kit (large), knife collection, axes, firestarting kit, sharpning kit etc etc THEN i take a cool box with food, a 50L water container and a few extra bits!

Getting back on topic.... for lightweight extensive walking I always prefer it packed as tightly as possible which therefore keeps the load as close to my back as possible and near my centre of gravity, with light things at the bottom and heavier items towards the top. but everyone is different

Fletching

Dec 6, 2010
London
I use the Sabre 45 with the 2x 12.5L side pouches which can hold enough - for me at least - for a week (except water!). I've also got a couple of Maxpedition 'Roly Poly' bags which I can attach to either pack, straps or belt, so have loads of extra capacity if needed.

I find if I take a smaller pack, I'll be more thoughtful of what I take along (plus I enjoy packing and playing with my toys loads!). :)

Steve

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
Ive a Karrimor 60-100. Too big for a day out, but just right for a couple of days with all the sleeping and cooking gear, when cinched right down to the 60ltr mode. longer trips i can expand it ...but its a heavy, heavy bag

I could do with a 40ltr for the day walks. I reckon that would be about right for me

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i have a 38 ltr NI pack,...

but i have a response pack too with a little brewkit and bits i need to avoid opening the main pack,,....

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
My view is this...

Rucksacks above 60L capacity used to fit into a couple of categories:

Backpacking generally they had a couple of side pouches sewn on so you could have useful stuff to hand during the day..

Climbing which did away with the side pouches as they might cause problems and snags if you're hauling the sac or climbing up a chimney or corner with it on.

Below 60L were Daysacks and 45L was a big daysack for Winter or Alpine trips and 35 L being the norm for Hillwalking and days at the Local Crag...

I think the current propensity for stuffing a 35L daysack with kit has its roots in the following.

1. Ray Jardine and the Ultra lightweight Backpacking movement. Less kit and lighter kit can make for a smaller pack. Lighter kit means you can travel further for a given energy input.
2. The Know More Carry less Ethos of 'Bushcraft'.

Point 1 makes sense and in some ways mainstream outdoor kit suppliers are catching up with the UL movement. So what was a 75L load 10 years ago if you pick the right product can be reduced down to 50L or lower. Kit is forever getting lighter and more compact.

Point 2 is interesting. Fundamentally in an unrestricted environment with enough knowledge and skills it should be possible to get by with natural materials and a few bits of vital kit to enable + enhance this. So for example don't take a tarp build a shelter, don't take a roll mat use leaves as insulation, don't take a sleeping bag or cooker use a fire for cooking and warmth at night. So a 35L daysack in this situation probably is enough to carry this vital kit.

I think the overstuffed 35L sack with pouches all over it is a result of a desire to live the 'KMCL Ethos' balanced out with the reality of having to carry stuff as the unrestricted environment does not exist. In addition Bushcrafters seem to like 'Army Surplus' as it's: green, tough and low cost. Often however it can be bulky. Which is a problem if you're trying to pack into a small space.

Another point that gives you problems with low pack space is for example the fact some sub set 'Bushcraft' activities such as Temperate Climate Hammocking actually require more kit to do.

A 'Ground Dwelling' Tarp Shelter Generally needs:
Tarp, Sleeping mat, Sleeping Bag.

Hammocking needs:
Tarp, Hammock, Sleeping bag, Sleeping mat, Hammock suspension kit.

As an absolute generally agreed minimum...
If we assume the same Tarp, sleeping bag, sleeping mat for both systems then we can see we’re going to have to have more bulk and weight with the addition of the Hammock and suspension kit.

I guess then finally you have the fact that a Pack with MOLLE and lots of pouches stuck onto it looks ‘tacticool’ Nothing wrong with that. It doesn’t rub my rhubarb but some folk are fine with it.

My experience which shapes my view is that a Rucksack of 60L + is better for backpacking with normal kit and one of 35-45L is generally fine as a daysack.

Folk will do what they will.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
ALICE user here. I've got both the large and the medium and both give plenty of room and organization for me. Besides, it's almost identical to my older Boy Scout "Camper" model pack from the 70s. The MOLLE system has it's uses, advantages and fans but I'm just happier with the old fashioned philosophy and gear.

Last edited:

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
As an absolute generally agreed minimum...
If we assume the same Tarp, sleeping bag, sleeping mat for both systems then we can see we’re going to have to have more bulk and weight with the addition of the Hammock and suspension kit.

Most 'hardcore' hammock campers use a topquilt and underquilt instead of a sleepingbag and matt. Effectively the same amount of down that is in a sleeping bag is split between the two quilts, and sleeping mats tend not to get used (apart from in subzero to supplement insulation) Still slightly heavier I suppose as you're carrying a hammock too (which weighs more than the ground dwellers ccf pad). But out of necessity generalities fail as it really comes down to individual item choices. I'd even say the majority of hammock setups (those who don't consider themselves weight conscious) are going to be lighter than the 'stereotypical' bushcraft setup of a basha, surplus bivi & ccf matt, and sleeping bag.

From what I've read for lightweight verses lightweight.. the tarp user wins by knockout tho :)

Leaf

Jun 8, 2011
west sussex
Hello, new to this caper, recently bought a 45L karrimor and finding it hard to get sleeping bag and other equipment in. Pouches or should I buy a bigger bag? I am looking at 70L bag. I'm not doing much walking at the moment, just lots of camping out.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I use one of those nifty Karrimor 60-100 rucksacks, an older one that has no zips for PLCE pockets. It does have zips into some long side pockets. I prefer the SBW method, put the stuff in the pack and compress for load carrying comfort. It was always my experience that the more you hang ON a pack, the more you LOSE. This was experienced several times in the military and a few while mountaineering. I for sure prefer everything inside and secured. The one drawback is that the empty 60-100 is rather heavy on it's own.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE