Rucksack advice...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Hi,

I'm coming back to the UK for Xmas and want to pick up a new rucksack whilst I'm home for some trekking trips I have planned in India. I was looking for some advice on what my options might be as I am quite tall (6'6") and need a long/adjustable back system.

Requirements:

50-55L
Have an adjustable back
Olive or black (no camo)
Built to last

I'd really like to try before I buy so I can ensure that it is a good fit. My best mate is the same size as me and has a Sabre 60/100 which fits him well but PRI dont have any stock and that size is a bit over for me.

So, any ideas of off the shelf bags that I might pick up from a highstreet retailer please let me know.

Thanks

Baz

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
You are asking almost the impossible there. 50 lite rucksacks generally tend to be climbing, close fitting bags. There are some really nice Macpacs which are black and I think mine is fantastic - if you'd go to 60litres, have a look at the macpac range in size 4.

http://www.macpac.co.nz/public_catalogue/displayItemCode/item,Torlesse-65/code,TL65U07

Alternatively you have the vulcan, but that's getting big again. I'd advise Macpac, as they are my favourite big bags.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`m a big fan of the Airjet packs, I`ve got a 25 and 45 and they`re superb quality. They`ve both had plenty of hammer so far and sow no signs falling apart. They also carry a lifetime guarantee which cannot be claimed by many manufacturers.

http://www.military-kit.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=38&products_id=149

These go for around £45-50 but these guys knock them out at just £30

Worth a look

No connection to seller etc etc .........

Rich

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
If you're feeling lavisn, have a look at the military packs made by Kifaru (www.kifaru.net). Although they do not have adjustable backs they are made to fit you, are superbly constructed and supremely versatile. They do very good side pockets and other accessories that make the pack useful in all situations. They are, however, a price that will make you faint.:eek:

I've no connection with the company; I'm just an extremely satisfied customer.:D

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts

Hi there,

Thanks to all who responded. I tried out the Highlander forces 55 bag and it was OK, I then had a chat with Adrian at Aguille Alpine in Cumbria and he agreed to make me an olive green version of his Zepher bag (47L) with an extra long back. He also made me a set of side pouches to match and managed to get all of this to me for Xmas. Outstanding service and I am really, really! pleased with the bag.

I aways like to recognise good service and this outfit certainly get my recomendation.

Barry

If you're feeling lavisn, have a look at the military packs made by Kifaru (www.kifaru.net). Although they do not have adjustable backs they are made to fit you, are superbly constructed and supremely versatile. They do very good side pockets and other accessories that make the pack useful in all situations. They are, however, a price that will make you faint.:eek:

I've no connection with the company; I'm just an extremely satisfied customer.:D

I have Kifaru gear and while expensive it is the finest gear I have come across. I paid around $730 USD for my Zulu pack and side bags. Great stuff with a lifetime warranty.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
where in the UK are you coming back to mate?

I would suggest heading down to Covent Garden in London. You can easily get to Kathmandu, Ellis Brigham, Field and Trek x 2, Cotswold Outdoor, North Face, plus a very short walk away is Blacks and Snow and Rock.

You can try them on to your hearts content. I'm just over 6'3 so struggled with getting a comfy pack. I have a Macpac Glissade and have a size 3. I can't recommend them highly enough, as mentioned above. I'm at the top of the fitting for this so you may need to get a size 4. Most shops will stock a size 3 though. Osprey is another good brand to try, really good fitting, especially for tall people and the hip belt can be moulded to you

I'd say its worth investing wisely, if its even a touch too small the weight will sit on your shoulders and really feel heavy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE