Rubbish trail-cam video.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
This was taken when it was a very frosty night and I think the lense must've frosted over.
It's pointing at a bank next to a stream and all you can see is the eye shine.

I think it's a rat :dunno:

[video]http://s883.photobucket.com/albums/ac40/Bushwhacker78/?action=view&current=PICT0040.mp4[/video]

Here's a day shot with a squirrel in it to compare.

[video]http://s883.photobucket.com/albums/ac40/Bushwhacker78/?action=view&current=PICT0039.mp4[/video]

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hey Paul, if you are giong to just leave that camera , wherever it falls , please do not go on the sauce first , that first vid will not win any awards !!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Or maybe it will ! Southey might have cracked it , " TWAS BRILLIG AND THE SLITHY TOVES , DID GIRE AND GIMBLE IN THE WABE !"

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Here's another rubbish one.
Is it bats or chameleon tongues?

[video]http://s883.photobucket.com/albums/ac40/Bushwhacker78/?action=view&current=PICT0038.mp4[/video]

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Do rats have eye shine ? I know they have very bad eyesight so would not have thought they had a reflective membrane behind the retina like other nocturnal mammals.........but I'm not sure at all.:(

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Rat eyeshine.

[video]http://s883.photobucket.com/albums/ac40/Bushwhacker78/?action=view&current=PICT0026.mp4[/video]

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i think the original video's a squirrel personally, i could well be wrong but it does seem to be moving more like a squirrel than anything else.

the second video (post#6), really fast moths and an alligator drifting past in the background:)

stuart

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
It's not squirrel since the video was taken approaching midnight.

i'd agree entirely that it's completely out of character for a squirrel to be out and about at that time of night, but it does happen occasionally.

rat just doesn't seem right me, rats either move from one place to another really quickly (scurrying i guess), or they stop and sniff about a lot with lots of head movement (like the other video of the rat that you put up). the eyes in the first video don't seem to be doing either of those things to me :dunno:

i've watched the video a fair few times now, trying to work out how the thing's moving, and i'm fairly convinced that it's bounding along (hence squirrel), stoat maybe?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I did think it was a mink to begin with but I'm not so sure. Bit of a tricky one so I'll have another go at positioning the camera on the same spot.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I should've checked for prints in the soft silt when I picked up the camera but I was just heading out and had my best brothel creepers on and didn't want to get them dirty. :(

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....had my best brothel creepers on and didn't want to get them dirty. :(

one again, intellect plays second fiddle to vanity, it's like trying to converse with a teenage girl :):pokenest:

loving these trail cam threads mate, i might have to look into getting one to spy on my badgers

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Not forgetting impatience. I could've left it there another night but it had already been out a week and I could wait no longer.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Not forgetting impatience. I could've left it there another night but it had already been out a week and I could wait no longer.

i'm surprised you managed a week, i don't think i would.

SWMBLT has just got home, watched the video, and said "mustalid of some sort". it's rare that we agree!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE