Rubber Inner Tube

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Surely you are able to find some
Easily accessible flammable substance which one end of the inner tube can be dipped into to make easily lit by a fire steel?! Hymn. I think I have found a new mini project ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was thinking of preshreading the tube, like feathering, so only have to make one cut to get a load of fine stuff.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I think the beauty of uysing Inner tube is you can wrap it around somthing, anything really it can be out side in the rain and you can still use it, the truoble with pre shedding it it then has to be in bag and another thing you have to make sure your've got it, I have some around tins, and ligthers, and round knife sheath's, little 1/2" stips every where so I ve always got a bit to hand :)

rancid badger

you can get inner tube to light better is you fluff it up with a knife blade, just scrape away at it till you get a small pile of very very fine rubber, almost powder like...

works a treat but takes some time to get a little pile of the stuff....:(:(:(

chris.

Neither of the following are advised for kids or folk not too handy in the "practical tinkering" disciplines TAKE CARE!!:crutch:
Try rolling a bit of inner-tube into ( more or less) a cigar, about 20mm-30mm diameter, then scrub the end across an old cheese grater-the bit used (I think) for very hard, dry cheese,with the tiny triangular teeth, not the larger oval holes.

hope that makes sense?

Anyway, also watch your fingers and knuckles but this should produce some pretty good "powdered" rubber;)

An alternative for producing this stuff, is to use a wire cup brush in an electric drill, scrubbing off rubber from an old car tyre-even more hazardous but quite effective:goodluck:

Steve

W0lf

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2009
London
Daft question but won't rubbing in Vaseline to one end work or do you need a carbon based material to help the Vaseline catch?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
If you carry alcohol based hand cleanser as part of your first aid/hygiene kit that can be used as a great way to get from spark to flame with all sorts of materials, rubber inner tube included.

Cheers,

Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE