Rubber Inner Tube

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Has anyone got any experience with using Rubber Inner Tube as tinder for lighting fires? How easily does it take a spark from a firesteel ? I've just had to change one on my bike after it split, and am wondering alternative uses.

Cheers

J

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Slice some up into bits about the size of an elastoplast and pack them in your kit. They won't go off, they won't mind wet or dry, they don't pollute anything in your pack or pocket, only weigh a couple of grams, and they work brilliantly. Won't light with a spark but they will burn for long enough to get a fire going. I know some folks who have cut 'dogtags' from them that they thread onto their keyring with a peanut lighter. They can even look kind of neat....leaf shapes for instance :)

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't carry so much kit that will happily wrap with bands.....the ones I'm using just now came from a car tyre inner tube. The strips slip into pockets, or onto keyrings :) Besides a 6x2cm rectangle is plenty.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If I'd gotten a flame from fluffy stuff that burns away quickly, that's when the rubber is excellent....it catches, and then it burns long enough to get a fire going.

M

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I keep my zippo with a inner tube around it instead of fuel evaporting in a few days it last a couple of weeks :), as every one says, also handy for holding thigs together/ Boxes shut, can be used as a shock absorber for tarp/tent guy lines in rough weather,

If you get some differnt sizes you can use them to seal other tubs with liquid in, I have a couple of BDH containers for Canoeing that I have inner tube around the lid.. nice and snugg keeps ther water out :),

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Get a decent peanut lighter :) Mine lasts a year and still lights first time. No rubber band, just hanging on my keyring.

M

Had the zippo a while it was given to me.. not sure I would of brought one..., I tend to use a turbo lighter if i need one, but hardly use it :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aren't turbo's excellent :D
Mine was a present from Russ for my birthday one year and it's just the best lighter I've ever used :approve: Doesn't hang from my keyright though, but going out/out, it's in my pocket.

atb,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm sorry, I don't know. I have had one that was dreadful because it constantly dried up in a couple of months, though changing the O ring really helped.
The one I use now came from ebay, from China (where I think they are mostly all made anyway) and it's been brilliant.

I think I followed a link that Rik_uk3 posted....

Just had a look at mine and there are no markings on it, and it lit first strike :)

Might be worth a thread on lighters ?

atb,
M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't carry so much kit that will happily wrap with bands.....the ones I'm using just now came from a car tyre inner tube. The strips slip into pockets, or onto keyrings :) Besides a 6x2cm rectangle is plenty.

M

Some do, some don't. I don't use them often myself. But they're always a welcome item when I do need them.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
you can get inner tube to light better is you fluff it up with a knife blade, just scrape away at it till you get a small pile of very very fine rubber, almost powder like...

works a treat but takes some time to get a little pile of the stuff....:(:(:(

chris.

W0lf

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2009
London
Surely you are able to find some
Easily accessible flammable substance which one end of the inner tube can be dipped into to make easily lit by a fire steel?! Hymn. I think I have found a new mini project ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE