Royal Navy Ventile smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erik1

Dec 13, 2009
Norway
I am currently considering the garment mentioned in the headline. The forum is full of discussions on Ventile as a fabric, but I couldn't find too much information on the RN smock.

Hopefully, there are people out there who can respond to my thoughts? :)

It seems like it is lined with regular cotton. This must be a major disadvantage when you have worked up a sweat? Will it work better as a single layer garment? (Unlined.)

As most surplus stuff, I suspect it to be rather heavy. Any idea how heavy it is?

All comments are welcome!

E

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
not handled one personally but the pictures i have seen seem to show a good item, generous cut, non military colours, bomb proof build. my only gripe is the buttons and flap on the front which are designed for the crewmans radio equipment iirc. personally speaking, for the price they are going for on ebay, i'd save my pennies a while longer and look at SASS for a smock that you have a certain amount of control in its features. i.e pockets or no pockets, and any extras. i have had 2 of their smocks, still have one, excellent items.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hello Erik1, I have one, wore it all through winter, and still wearing it now we're into the warmer weather, it is heavier than a single layer Ventile of equal size, but tbh i don't notice the weight when on, as for the cotton lining i don't tend to heat up when wearing it while out on the hills, unless i'm doing some strenuous work like chopping, or running but no probs with walking even with a pack on. over the winter i had a wool shirt underneath and was plenty warm and it's just a teeshirt. I reallly enjoy mine.i'll chuck a couple of piccies up too, if you want to see anything specific let me know.

DSCF2513.jpg

the hood is very snug, and has a full face huff which rolls away.
DSCF2514.jpg

the main body has extra popperd flaps to route headset cables through.
DSCF2516.jpg

I would like to add a small flap over the cord pocket as it fills with water in heavy down pours.
DSCF2517.jpg

here you can see the face shield, for sideways rain.
DSCF2518.jpg

the lining is sewn into the seems,
DSCF2520.jpg

DSCF2523.jpg

hope this helps.

Southey.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Yes, it dosen't have any other sizes marked but, i'm broad across the shoulders, I wear an XL size swandri bushshirt and the smock is pretty much the same size through the body and across the shoulders.

DSCF2534.jpg

Erik1

Dec 13, 2009
Norway
@Southey: Thank you for posting a lot of interesting pictures! Any draft through the flaps for the headset cables?
@Rabbitsmacker: I have visited the web site for the SASS smock a couple of times. As you point out, the price is tempting compared to the Royal Navy Smock.
How are they handling sparks from big fires?

Only problem left is this: Genuine Ventile for sailors or custom-made in Oxford weave cloth?

E

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
the cable flaps are just sewn to the out side the cable would feed into the righthand front pocket where theres a shrouded hole to feed it through. I have worn mine in very heavy storm wind/rain and I was very impressed nice and warn and it didn't get any heavier, I had a slight damp patch where the dog lead was slung over my shoulder, but other than that pretty dry, it was raining for about 1 1/2 hours. Dogs loved it!

Erik1

Dec 13, 2009
Norway
I see. Can anyone please link to an image of the garments, in use? I have not found any on the forum.

Last edited:

Erik1

Dec 13, 2009
Norway
Be careful what you wish for...

To be more precise: Pictures of the SASS smock other than from their web site, similar to the excellent pictures of the RN above.

Last edited:

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire
I have been using one of these smocks bought down thEbay. Years ago I had one issued to me, they were much coveted by clearance divers and submariners at the time. I remembered mine being pretty good so thought I would get another. I did mod it to take the 'baggy ears' away - simple job. They are originally put there so you can have a headset under the hood. I wouldn't mind dyeing it green but reckon it will be tricky starting from a dark blue base.

As a bushy garment it is OK. Pockets are rubbish and nowhere to store anything that needs to be secure. Certainly windproof and though I haven't tested it far more resistant to spark damage than a synthetic material. Pretty dry too and if it gets really grim then I can hide under a tree or a poncho. I would give it 7/10 for bushcraft use.

Would I do without it - no way. Not only is it good enough for my use but it now seems that it is a Nigel Cabourn fashion inspiration garment www.Cabourn.com. So dad can get all his all issue kit out of the back of the locker and be seen has trendy ........for the first time in fifty years. Yo dudes !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE