Rowan Jelly time.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
My family aren't big fans of Turkey for Christmas dinner. We either have Duck, Goose, or as this year will have it Venison (my favorite). But my favorite condiment is Rowan and Crab apple Jelly, the tartness really works well with the Venison. I know that unless you have some Rowan berries conveniently stashed away in the freezer this recipe won't be much use to you, but you can sub the Rowan for any other wild berries.

1kg Rowan berries
1kg Crab Apples
1.5kg Granulated Sugar (don't bother with jam sugar already plenty of pectin in there)
An old pillow case and a boot lace (Tried and tested method, just make sure its really old and I mean really old)

1. Wash and remove stalks from fruits, also chop and peel your Crab apples. Make sure you leave the cores in there.
2.Put it in a big pan, I use a big old pressure pot, and fill it with enough water to come at least half way up the fruit.
3. Bring up to boil and mash the fruit against the pan sides, it is going to turn like a porridge consistency when ready.
4. shove all the pillow case and tie it up aver a big bowl to let it drain. I like my jellies a bit cloudy so I squeeze the bag, If you like them clear just let gravity do all the work.
5. Measure out the liquid, for every litre or liquid you need 750g sugar. You put this into a clean pan, I use the same one as before I just wash it out.
6. slowly heat until all the Sugar melts in, then bring up to a rapid hard boil (scrape of the scum when it appears) for ten minutes.
7.Drop a spoon full onto a cold plate if it Gels your sorted.
8. Put it into warmed clean jars and seal.

leave it for about a 2 - 6 weeks before eating. This allows it to settle and the flavors to blend in together. This recipe works with any foraged fruit I can think of and It keeps for a year.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
That makes it very clear and simple to follow. Would like to have tried it this year but our Rowan crop has been none existent.

treetop57

Forager
Sep 1, 2012
dumfrieshire
My family aren't big fans of Turkey for Christmas dinner. We either have Duck, Goose, or as this year will have it Venison (my favorite). But my favorite condiment is Rowan and Crab apple Jelly, the tartness really works well with the Venison. I know that unless you have some Rowan berries conveniently stashed away in the freezer this recipe won't be much use to you, but you can sub the Rowan for any other wild berries.

1kg Rowan berries
1kg Crab Apples
1.5kg Granulated Sugar (don't bother with jam sugar already plenty of pectin in there)
An old pillow case and a boot lace (Tried and tested method, just make sure its really old and I mean really old)

1. Wash and remove stalks from fruits, also chop and peel your Crab apples. Make sure you leave the cores in there.
2.Put it in a big pan, I use a big old pressure pot, and fill it with enough water to come at least half way up the fruit.
3. Bring up to boil and mash the fruit against the pan sides, it is going to turn like a porridge consistency when ready.
4. shove all the pillow case and tie it up aver a big bowl to let it drain. I like my jellies a bit cloudy so I squeeze the bag, If you like them clear just let gravity do all the work.
5. Measure out the liquid, for every litre or liquid you need 750g sugar. You put this into a clean pan, I use the same one as before I just wash it out.
6. slowly heat until all the Sugar melts in, then bring up to a rapid hard boil (scrape of the scum when it appears) for ten minutes.
7.Drop a spoon full onto a cold plate if it Gels your sorted.
8. Put it into warmed clean jars and seal.

leave it for about a 2 - 6 weeks before eating. This allows it to settle and the flavors to blend in together. This recipe works with any foraged fruit I can think of and It keeps for a year.
have you tried rose hip jelly that's made in a similar way and has lots of vit c in it i believe

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
that sounds lovely mate i'll have to try and source the ingredients next year to try some, ive just knocked up a quick batch of blackberry jelly using the delia smith way- 1lb of blackberries washed,1lb of caster sugar or 1/2 lb of jam sugar,6 fl oz of water and the juice of 1 lemon.put the berries in a thick bottomed pan with the water and gently stew them for 25-30 mins , i like to squish em to hurry up the process a bit. then add the sugar and lemon juice and stir the pan until the sugar dissolves about 10 mins on a low heat, then turn up the heat and boil for 8-10 mins stiring to stop the jelly sticking and burning to the bottom of the pan.then i just pass it through a fine nylon sieve into a clean glass container and cool it before putting in the fridge. p.s this jelly only keeps for a month so eat it fast on hot toast or crumpets !

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE