Rover Jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimG

Feb 10, 2012
Kent
Hello, a newbie here and I have a question about a Ventile Jacket. I know, I cringe myself as I write this!

I have read loads of threads on this forum about outdoor coats and I'm left utterly confused. Lots of people love Ventile, loads seem to hate it.:confused:

I have a North Face Hyvent jacket that I bought about 4 years ago. And despite regular Nikwax treatments it now leaks like a sieve.
This jacket cost just under £300 so, as you can imagine, I'm not going near North Face again.

I want a country style jacket for leisurely dog walks, and general outdoor pursuits. I don't live in the woods or climb mountains so I'm not in the market for anything too extreme. It's unlikely that that I would go out if it is raining heavily, but I would like to keep dry should I get caught out. I'm not really interested in the technical coats (as good as thy maybe) as I would worry about the waterproofing failing again.

I initially pinned my hope on a Barbour Berwick Endurance:
Barbour.jpg

I loved the tough exterior that reports to stand up to undergrowth, but was turned off by the PU liner.

I then found this Rover jacket by Country Innovations, currently on sale!
RoverJkt.jpg

I thought I had struck gold but there seems to be too many haters of Ventile. As I mentioned, main use will be on dogs walks, shoots and going to he park with my sons. Is the Rover a safe bet for my needs or should I consider something else? Laksen CTX?

Thanks for your patience.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Go with a ventile jacket without a doubt, and you can't go wrong with country innovations. The anti-ventile bunch will soon learn:p

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
the rover is a great jacket,i only got rid of mine as i run hot and prefer single layer ventile.

Stuart69 had one for sale in large, don't know if it has sold yet.

JimG

Feb 10, 2012
Kent
Barn Owl,

Country Innovations do a single Ventile jacket called the Osprey but it has a secondary lining of Innovation XL. I've never heard of Innovation XL and worry that it will be something to go wrong. Are you able to advise?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Hi Jim,

i also had a Kestrel smock with that lining and although a great product it made it too warm for me.
The lining ensures that the product is completely waterproof.

For me, i get wet inside due to overheating with these linings but have never had rain penetrate a single layer to any extent.

I carry a poncho at times if i think i'll be caught in a deluge but not often.

Hth

Tom

JimG

Feb 10, 2012
Kent
Thanks Udamiano.

Anyone else? 125 views and only 3 people with replies? The sale ends on Sunday!!

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I thought I had struck gold but there seems to be too many haters of Ventile.

I dont think folk hate Ventile per se. We understand that one jacket cannot do everything. And Ventile as a fabric has it's limitations along with goretex or other fabrics.

For the use you discribe either jacket you have shortlisted would seem to fit the bill. I'd run with which one fits the best and which cut suits you and feels most comfortable.

Cut of the jacket is as important as the fabric it's made from. There are Ventile and Goretex jackets out there with horrendous cuts as well as great fitting jackets with poor fabric choice...

HTH

JimG

Feb 10, 2012
Kent
Thanks Johnboy. I'm aware that Ventile gets heavy when wet, but what are the other downsides of Ventile? Does it need regular treatment with a waterproofer like a Goretex type membrane? Or does the swelling cotton provide all the protection?

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I have just bought a Keela Falkland Ventile jacket it is a single layer with their ADS liner very pleased with it.

Feb 28, 2011
lincolnshire
hi

I have both jackets and have used them in all weathers, I bought the Country Innovations Rover jacket to replace the Berwick and imo the Rover is way out in front
I am out every day working with dogs my gear does get used and I find ventile very good for general outdoor wear and the Rover very easy to wear. I also have the
ventile bottoms for when its. bad weather
hope this helps

Corby

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
I have both a Rover and a Keela Munro. Had the Rover for about 6 years and its seen a lot of use primarily walking dogs, being out + about generally and it sees use most days . Use the Keela more for hillwalking.

Both are excellent jackets, both have limitations. Horses for courses.
I'd certainly recommend the Rover for all round use. Ventile is extremely hardwearing, comfortable and versatile. It will be ideal for what you are describing. It takes time to dry out when thoroughly soaked, but thats a minor drawback. I've been out in some really heavy rain for extended periods and its never penetrated. I bought ventile cos I was fed up with expensive "technical" jackets being fragile or leaking or both.

The Keela has been in use for 5+ years and not let me down, best technical jacket I've had.

If you want a jacket that is going to last for a good few years, go for the Rover. I bought mine with the expectation of at least 10 years life based on my experience of my old Survival Aids ventile jacket.

Each type of fabric has its fans and detractors, at the end its a personal choice. Country Innovation are good to deal with + sell real quality stuff.
Hope this helps

Last edited:

JimG

Feb 10, 2012
Kent
Thanks for the replies. It almost seems that Ventile is not the problem in a lot of cases, but certain inept manufacturers who make poor jackets using the material? Country Innovation seem to have a good reputation on this, and other, forums so I'm inclined to buy from them with confidence.

The other option they do is the Osprey jacket, that is single layer Ventile with an Innovation XL waterproof/windproof lining. Would this better suit my needs or is the lining a possible future weak link in the garment. Can't find much about it on Google.

Thanks again all.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I picked up a CI Kestrel smock for a pal last year but he's lost a load of weight and never worn it, if you want a smock rather than a jacket it might be worth getting in touch. PM me for a start :)

JimG

Feb 10, 2012
Kent
I picked up a CI Kestrel smock for a pal last year but he's lost a load of weight and never worn it, if you want a smock rather than a jacket it might be worth getting in touch. PM me for a start :)

Thanks Rich, very kind but I would prefer a jacket.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I think I read some where on here that Keela make country innovations jackets the Falkland does look very similar to the osprey. I picked my Falkland jcket up for about £170 which I though was a good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE