Rough Close ~ Spring 2017 TORM Meet - 16 - 20 March

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
As Mesquite says the Meets are open to registered members of the forum, as outlined in the opening post of the thread ~ one caveat is that if a registered member happens to be under the age of 18* they absolutely must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.

* And anyone under the age of 18 must have a parent or legal guardian in attendance.

Last edited:

Bear mears

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2017
Wolverhampton
Hey thanks well I'm 28 and my daughter would be coming (12). Just be pitching up and seeing how long we last lol. I read the rules I didn't see anything on fires? Are small fires allowed or is that a communal area thing? Cheers. Ash

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hey thanks well I'm 28 and my daughter would be coming (12). Just be pitching up and seeing how long we last lol. I read the rules I didn't see anything on fires? Are small fires allowed or is that a communal area thing? Cheers. Ash

You missed the rule on fires ;)

• Wood fires must be raised and contained. Periodically there is a shortage of wood available to burn - if you want to cook on an open fire, bring a supply of wood or charcoal.

Just remember to follow this rule though

• Due to changes in site policy, we cannot cut down standing dead wood. The same goes for green wood ~ damaged or not.

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hey thanks well I'm 28 and my daughter would be coming (12). Just be pitching up and seeing how long we last lol.

No worries, with it being the internet age requirements needed to be mentioned ;) . I'm sure you'll be fine. And don't worry about what kit you have, cheap and basic is fine ~ happy and chilled beats having this year's new model :D (the same goes for Meets elsewhere too ;) )

I read the rules I didn't see anything on fires? Are small fires allowed or is that a communal area thing? Cheers. Ash

From post #01 ...

• <<<>>>
  • Wood fires must be raised and contained. Periodically there is a shortage of wood available to burn - if you want to cook on an open fire, bring a supply of wood or charcoal.
  • Due to changes in site policy, we cannot cut down standing dead wood. The same goes for green wood ~ damaged or not.
  • >>><<<
  • Chopping (or cracking/snapping etc) wood at 'silly o'clock' is not acceptable. Please make sure that you prepare wood for the start of the next day well before dusk ~ and if you can't be sure, bring an alternative method of heating water/cooking. In the event that you injure (cut, bash, squash) yourself processing wood it is expected that you will have a first aid kit / supplies suitable to treat the wound.

Bear mears

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2017
Wolverhampton
Brilliant, cheap and cheerfull it will be believe me lol and no cutting of trees, got ya. In regards to a raised fire is that on rocks or will I need a bit of kit?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Not many rocks on site ~ a cheap reusable bbq is used by many. Just needs to be big enough to put a couple of pots on/over. I think mine cost me about £10 or £12 a few years back, I'll bung a pic up tomorrow ;)

Bear mears

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2017
Wolverhampton
Ahh I get what ya mean mate. Sounds good to me any idea when the next meets are I'm assuming its a few months from now? I'm yet to buy our gear anyway just going to take me time and keep a look out for cheap gear.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
And after resorting to a generous application of volatile energy from an alternative source ... success!

Little happy dance ...
:dancer:

Bear mears

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2017
Wolverhampton
Lovely i know somewhere i can pick something like that up, regarding wood, my dad owns a fencing company and makes panels etc so i can get off cuts all day. Its not logs or dead standing of course but if you guys need burnable wood i can get boat loads lol.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I'll also put up a couple of pics once I've had time to download and look at them :D

Firstly a couple of pics of the site ...

One of the areas of Small Leaved Limes

A slightly wilder looking area ...

Cooking fire, raised and contained :D

Cooking, vintage Meta-50 ...

After all the trees affected and inflicted by Doris ~ someone on a neighbouring pitch 'felt the need' to practice their 'skills' over the weekend ... The saw in the background is mine, I neatened up the massacre :(

Dropped it and left it :( . Absolutely no reason to be dropped. This is why the site has a no cutting down policy! :tapedshut:cussing::soapbox: :censored: . My thanks to Pete for bringing it to my attention so that I could report it to the relevant bods on site.

A couple of pics of my pitch ...

I'd decided on using the Loue II lower than normal and having a tarp for sitting and cooking under ...

Basha pole on the Loue II worked quite nicely :D

Two generations of fallen trees and two victims of Doris ...

An ugly scar caused by Doris.

Backside of the Loue II

Anyone else have pics of the Meet? Feel free to bung them up :D

Bear mears

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2017
Wolverhampton
Hey that looks great, apart from the dead trees if course lol. All i need to think of now is what marinade is goin on the chicken ;) looks like an enjoyable weekend.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Here's my pics from the weekend

My usual pitch

Which offered me this view as I sat drinking my coffee in the morning :)

I used a new system to mark my pitch at night by using EL wire which I was well impressed with. It was very impressive when it was fully dark and no one tripped over my guys :rolleyes: Unfortunately I forgot to take a pic with both guylines marked but you get the idea

This was the communal pitch where a lot of chats took place and much laughter as well as toasting of marshmallows :)

One thing I wanted to do was try out my Coleman oven out on my Nos 12 stove

So I decided to do chicken breasts with diced green peppers and spring onions with a sweet chili sauce

Which was served on a Mexican chili rice... Nom nom nom, absolutely delicious :D

Phil and I went for a bimble down to pignut corner and I was pleased to see they were starting to come up

As were the wood anemones

We carried on along the perimeter path

IMG_0186 by Steve Harral, on Flickr

Of course there was the usual bush TV

33535805686_7449e0f7bc_z.jpg

I stopped by Phil's pitch at one point for a chinwag as he boiled the kettle

IMG_0192

One the field next to our pitch was a scout group who proved to be very ingenious with bamboo canes and rubber bands for their kitchen area :)

That's it folks :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE