Rosehips, which ones?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They make good wine :D, and Xylaria made soup and posted the recipe a while back. Watch them near iron though, avoid aluminium and they darken some stainless steels too. :dunno: why though.
They don't make good dye which is unusual if they're going to react with metal

cheers,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd advise buying some muslin for cheap if playing. I have yards of the stuff - just used it to clear all the fibres out of elderberry port which is glupping away, it just been bleached and rinsed and will go onto mead filtering next. I find lining funnels even better than sieves. The other thing we should all have is a nylon jelly bag and stand - amazingly good as a fine filter for things like hairs and seeds - and can be left to drip through while you crack on with something else :).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I used a nylon one BR and when I held the syrup up to the sunlight, I could see the wee hairs reflecting inside it :sigh:
Otherwise I agree with you on the use; they're very useful.
I don't get enough in a funnel, and it's not stable enough for me, that's why I use the sieve :)

Each to their own; if it works then fair enough :)

cheers,
M

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I have a jelly bag and a muslin bag but no stand:(

I have a colander with big holes in that I sit the bags inside but a stand would be better. Its one of those things I keep meaning to get when I go to the hardware shop but I always end up coming away without one...DOH! lol

Hmm soup sounds interesting. I shall try that after doing the jelly.

The pan I use for jams etc. is a big old stainless one. It gets a good scrub after every batch but its still a wee bit discoloured anyway so I'm generally not too fussed about that.

The job today though has been washing haws to make Hawthorne Schnapps. I dropped the wife's car off at the garage down in the nearby village this morning and on the way home walked via the woods and filled a carrier bag full of them.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you can screw a hook into the underside of a shelf or cabinet the bag hangs quite happily from that :).....just mind that sometimes it splashes the wall :rolleyes: :eek: and bramble stains like a kid run amok with a felt pen.

cheers,
M

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I use tights to strain sloe gin. Just started some bramble whiskey. Hopefully my plum gin will turn out good too...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I used a nylon one BR and when I held the syrup up to the sunlight, I could see the wee hairs reflecting inside it :sigh:

cheers,
M

Its all about getting the right grade of filter - I have some in the micron range (designed for making biodiesel of all things!). Cost a few quid a bag - brilliant for really "polishing" wines etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE