Rosehip Syrup?

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Just curious (excuse the possible daft question) but being as I've never made it before, can you use any type of hip or is the wild Rosa canina a better choice due to being smaller and possibly sweeter?

Reason I'm asking is there are some beautiful hips in my works car park :) Conker size! I can mix the two, if its worth trying. Thanks in advance.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Any rosehips work, but supposedly the further north they grow the higher the Vitamin C content.

I'd be a bit wary of using ones from beside a road or carpark though; just not quite best practice. If it's not at all busy and the bushes are away from the cars/exhaust, etc., it might not be so bad......:dunno:

cheers,
M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I make Roehip and apple jelly and have used several types of hip including cultivated types.
The jelly goes great with pork, chicken etc or just on toast.
I prefer wild roses though as they seem to fit my "wild food" ethos better:)

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Ta :)

I'll see how many dog rose hips I can muster up then, and possibly bulk it up with a few domestics if needed. More curious as to what the syrup tastes like!

Cheers, al.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I use the common hedge rose, rosa rugosa... only because they're huge, easy to prepare and my old neighbour has a coupla hedgefuls that he loves seeing used ;) Watch the seeds though, they're quite an effective irritant, beloved of war kids to make itching powder, apparently ;)

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
LoL :)

Strangely enough, I've just been up in the hills with the quad collecting some oak and there's quite a mass of dog rose along the paths.
The hips are very small as everything is behind up here compared to lowlands, I just found COTW that's not long spoiled and its well gone past at my usual foraging spots.

I'll knock some up over the next few weeks and get back with my view :)

xylaria

I have mixed sweet briar [tradtional looking rosehip with some barbs on the hip] with japanese rugosa [big fat mamas]. Some varietys the hairs can removed with a muslin bag but others they remain. Generally I find the tradtional shaped hips need to be deseeded where rugosa can be removed with cloth. They all taste nice. Dog rose are nicest when left until the frost has softened them then squeeze the meat out. Very fiddly for meal but really nice pick me up for a walk on a cold day.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
TBL those sound like Japanese roses, often planted in gardens, but the stalks look bloomin viscous with lots and lots or sharp thorns....

they will be fine to use as Mary said, just watch out for the exhaust toxins.....:nono:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE