Rose hip varieties.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi i've noticed Rose hips are almost ready for picking, though there are some varients.

the Dog rose that you find in hedge rows or in woods has small rugby ball shaped hips.

but there is another "cultivated"? variety i've seen alot of around the town, a much bushier plant and the hips are 2 or 3 times the size and far rounder.
i've sheepishly picked a few and they taste really nice almost like a plum!
(i am aware of the hairs/seeds being an irritant).
and i have only had small tastes! ;)

my question is this being different varieties can i use the large fat tastey ones in the same way as the standard woodland variety, or is one more toxic etc?

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
The hips from Rosa rugosa are huge, see the examples on this page

that's the one, i shall have to take a sneaky trip! ;)

some of the main roads and council areas around norwich have this !

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
Hi i've noticed Rose hips are almost ready for picking, though there are some varients.

the Dog rose that you find in hedge rows or in woods has small rugby ball shaped hips.

but there is another "cultivated"? variety i've seen alot of around the town, a much bushier plant and the hips are 2 or 3 times the size and far rounder.
i've sheepishly picked a few and they taste really nice almost like a plum!
(i am aware of the hairs/seeds being an irritant).
and i have only had small tastes! ;)

my question is this being different varieties can i use the large fat tastey ones in the same way as the standard woodland variety, or is one more toxic etc?
I think Toddy is spot on with the ident and they can be treated like your normal hedegrow Dog rose (Rosa canina) Just be aware that in town they are more likely to be contaminated with pollution, dog pee etc.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I know about the dog and car polution.... :( it comes with city life in general.

there are some areas near a nearly always empty dual carridgeway i was thinging of collecting form also from a not very busy industrial estate, in both situations car fumes and dog pee will be less of a problem as both areas are quite open, and not close to houses for dog walkers.

i'll see what i can come up with, (and i won't collect low down street side!) ;)

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
more or less curious,does anybody know of a real rose subspecies that has rosehips you cannot safely eat?

with real roses i mean the ones that start with rosa in their latin name.

Blabber alert!
in dutch there are several plants wich have in their "local" names the word roos (rose)

a few examples are:
stokroos (stickrose) alcea rosa
kerstroos (christmasrose) helleborus niger
hondsroos (dogrose) rosa canina

of these 3 only the last would qualify as "real"

end of blabber alert

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i would imagnie many plants are called rose because either the use
Rosé from the colour red? (french pronounciation)

or the plant has a part that looks rose-like!

like the "Gelder rose" below:
gogy10337_b~Gelder-Rose-in-Florist-Vase-Posters.jpg

here is a lengthy but detailed explanation of the plant name "ROSE":
(not my own work, see below)

The name rose can be traced back, via Latin rosa, only to Greek rhodon [ῥόδον] (cf. the name of the common ornamental rhododendron [ῥοδοδένδρον] “rose tree”), but not further; the plant must have been known in bronze-age Greece as it appears in the Odysseia [Ὀδυσσεῖα] (see poppy on the Homeric epics). We do not know, however, which rose variety inspired the poet to his famous comparison of the goddess of dawn and rose flowers: rhododaktylos Eos [ῥοδοδάκτυλος Ἠῶς] “rosy-fingered Eos”.

Damask Rose York and Lancaster with two flower colours

The source of Greek rhodon is probably a tongue of Western Asia now lost. There are, however, related words that are no Greek loans, but derived from the unknown predecessor language by an independent route: Armenian vart “rose” [վարդ], Georgian vardi [ვარდი], Arabic ward [ورد] and Hebrew vered [ורד]. From Arabic, the word spread to a number of languages in Islâmic countries of Africa and Asia. Compare also Slovenian vrtnica “rose” (besides rož) and the female name Warda popular in the Eastern Mediterranean.

The Latin name rosa, itself derived from Greek, is essentially the source of almost all names of rose in modern European tongues, mostly with at most only slight variation: The name rose is not only valid in English, but also in German, Danish and French; other Germanic names are Icelandic rós, Swedish ros and Dutch roos. The Romance languages Italian, Spanish and Portuguese have another common name, rosa. In Baltic and Slavonic tongues, the S sound got voiced throughout, and sometimes also palatalized: Latvian rozes, Lithuanian rožės, Czech růže, Polish róża and Russian roza [роза]. Basque has an initial vowel, arrosa. Examples of loans to non-European tongues are Kannada roja [ರೋಜಾ] and Japanese rozu [ローズ].

R. rugosa, originally from China and Japan

Yet we find a paradoxical situation also encountered with some other spice names (parsley, ginger): Although the Old Greek name survives in the majority of recent European languages, it has vanished from Modern Greek, which has an unrelated name, triandafillo [τριαντάφυλλο]. That name properly refers to the specific “thirty-petal” cultivar grown for rose oil in South East Europe (Old Greek triakonta [τριάκοντα] “thirty” and phyllon [φύλλον] “leaf”), but is now used as generic term for “rose”; it also lies behind Albanian trëndafil “rose”.

The botanic epitheton damascena refers to Damascus, today capital of Syria, whence the fragrant rose allegedly was brought to Europe during the crusades.

Sanskrit shatapattra [शतपत्त्र] means “hundred leaves” (referring to filled flowers) and vrittapushpa [वृत्तपुष्प] “round flower”.

The term attar for rose oil (also spelt otto) goes back to Farsi atar [عطر] “perfume” derived from Arabic itr [عطر] “perfume”.

the above text was taken from this website

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Toddy said:
There's also a white rose around here that has large almost black haws that are very tasty too. No idea what variety they are though.

Cheers,
Toddy

It sounds like you're describing the Scotch Rose, also known as the Burnet Rose (rosa pimpinellifolia). Pfaf describes the hips as small but unusually sweet.

There's also Rosa Glauca (formerly rosa rubrifolia), which has the glaucus, dusty bloomed grey blue leaf colour and deeply coloured stems and hips. I don't see why either couldn't be substituted in rosehip recipes when ripe although they're both have rather tiny hips when compared to other species.

The ones I'd avoid would be any that haven't gained a good deep colour to indicate their ripeness, & some of the cultivated/garden varieties don't really seem to ripen at all and rarely get beyond green.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know the burnet rose and it's not like this one, and it's not rosa alba either.
It looks like a white version of the Rugosa apart from the black hips that develop. :confused:
I'll see what I can photo.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmm, pretty much. I need to go and photo them, but I'm up to my eyeballs in white linen just now and the deadlines are too close. :(
It must be fairly common 'cos it's part of an old borough planting along the nature walk.
atb,
toddy

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
This has got my attention too! I was out collecting rose hips at the weekend and after a while I noticed that some of the hips I was collecting were on a 'rose' type plant (ie it had thorns!) and some from a tree looking thingy! I binned the lot because I'd mixed up the fruit before I realised and thought I'd do a search on here.

The ones I picked didn't look anything like the ones in Toddy's link but do look like the dog rose in moonrakers link.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
I was under the impression that Rose Hips were best harvested after the first frost? It increases the flavour and amount of sugar in the hips? I've eaten a few already but was going to wait to see if they get sweeter ...... should I just collect them now?

On another note Botanical says:-

www.botanical.com said:
........ the pulp being separated from the skin and hairy seeds and beaten up with sugar. It is astringent and considered strengthening to the stomach and useful in diarrhoea and dysentery, allaying thirst, and for its pectoral qualities good for coughs and spitting of blood. Culpepper states that the hips are 'grateful to the taste and a considerable restorative, fitly given to consumptive persons, the conserve being proper in all distempers of the breast and in coughs and tickling rheums' and that it has 'a binding effect and helps digestion.' He also states that 'the pulp of the hips dried and powdered is used in drink to break the stone and to ease and help the colic.' The constituents of rose hips are malic and citric acids, sugar and small quantities of tannin, resin, wax, malates, citrates and other salts.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
:D There goes that first frost argument again...... Don't know exactly how to resolve it, a lot depends on whereabouts you are, when your first frost falls and what the 'competition' is like (feathered, furry or human).

I do a couple of things. If the hips look and feel ripe now (good deep colour, slight give when squeezed and a appetizing fruity aroma to the flesh), I'll pick them, process to my own personal taste (i.e. top tail and de-seed) and then freeze or dehydrate the uncooked flesh till I want to use it. At the same time, I keep a weather eye on the rest of the hips on local bushes and see how they're doing and might repeat this several times until/when frost hits our region. It works for me.

Mind you, I do tend to process a lot of hips during the autumn as I've collected a good few recipes over the years.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE