Ropes for bushcraft survival

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The only problem I have had with the split film rope is that it doesn't all take kindly to being doubled back over itself, as you would when using a trucker's hitch or similar, to tention the rope. Some of the stuff I have used had frayed badly.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
My stuff never frays, maybe it's just you bought from a bad supplier? I use a commercial fishing company. Plus, it's so cheap, you can easily throw it away at the first sign of wear.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was in the rope chandlers, Cosalt Lewis, recently....discussing the best rope for firebows that are in constant use as demonstrations and for the public to play with....and the subject of those blue/ black polyproplene ropes came up. ( Not recommended for firebows even if they will work) There are two types, a laminar film kind and a fibrous, staple spun, type.
The fibrous one is the better of the two for strength apparantly.
If I recall my maths and physics properly then the breaking strength is not just a simple calculation of your weight, you have to add in speed (velocity) and gravity too.

cheers,
Toddy

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I was in the rope chandlers, Cosalt Lewis, recently....discussing the best rope for firebows that are in constant use as demonstrations and for the public to play with....and the subject of those blue/ black polyproplene ropes came up. ( Not recommended for firebows even if they will work) There are two types, a laminar film kind and a fibrous, staple spun, type.
The fibrous one is the better of the two for strength apparantly.
If I recall my maths and physics properly then the breaking strength is not just a simple calculation of your weight, you have to add in speed (velocity) and gravity too.

cheers,
Toddy

I think you'd need to add in the stretchiness of the rope as well, so you could work out your maximum decelaration and from that the force of the rope. (F=am). This is only if you fal on it tho, for things like abseiling you just use the breaking strenght as it it as you don't fall on the rope. Always safer if you use a good factor of safety as well just in case.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE