Ropemaking :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
If you don't want to make rope, you might try stick weaving. :D I bought this stick weaving kit at Lee Valley and thought I'd try my hand at making a sash. Picked up some Fisherman's wool yarn and it seems to be working good so far.

stick_weaving1b.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hoodoo we call these weaving sticks; they're one of the favourites for teaching schoolkids. There's a bigger version that we use to make mats and rugs, called a peg loom. My largest one is a metre long. I get the kids to weave on it with raw fleece on sheep shearing days (inner city farm, handwashing facilities built in :) ) and then we felt it down into rugs, mats and seat covers.
If we use old plastic bags it makes a great mat for drying off boots and wellies.

cheers,
Toddy

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Excellent article.

I saw a guy at Treefest in Edinburgh a couple of years ago doing rope making demonstrations using twine and straw (not at the same time)
I've been keeping an eye out for a Jack ever since. But really ought to try making my own sometime.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's a fellow from up your end of the woods, Robbie (can't recall his surname, I can find it if needed though) who does rope making demonstrations like that. He uses a hook of fencing wire through a wooden tube handle and just takes a heuk to the roadside verge grasses for his ropemaking materials. He said that this was how they used to make hay ropes for tying stooks, stacks and the heather and bracken thatched roofs.
So simple once seen, and makes a very good rope indeed :D fascinating to watch :cool:

cheers,
Mary

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hoodoo we call these weaving sticks; they're one of the favourites for teaching schoolkids. There's a bigger version that we use to make mats and rugs, called a peg loom. My largest one is a metre long. I get the kids to weave on it with raw fleece on sheep shearing days (inner city farm, handwashing facilities built in :) ) and then we felt it down into rugs, mats and seat covers.
If we use old plastic bags it makes a great mat for drying off boots and wellies.

cheers,
Toddy

Cool! These are the first I've seen. Kinda gives me the weaving bug though.

So the pegs themselves would be a meter long?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry Terry, I ought to have made myself clear. The pegs fit into a bar a metre long. The warps are threaded through wee loops through the pegs just as the weaving sticks are (little loops that you cut off when finished ) We weave a few inches and then slide the weave off the pegs down the warps and put the pegs back into their sockets. Then weave some more until the warp is filled.

Like this
http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/A_sustainable_home/Peg_Looming/

It's a good woodland project too. It can be used to weave rush or bracken into mats. Useful for seating, under sleeping bags, a dry bit for kit, or a safe place to put hot pots.

cheers,
Mary

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Sorry Terry, I ought to have made myself clear. The pegs fit into a bar a metre long. The warps are threaded through wee loops through the pegs just as the weaving sticks are (little loops that you cut off when finished ) We weave a few inches and then slide the weave off the pegs down the warps and put the pegs back into their sockets. Then weave some more until the warp is filled.

Like this
http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/A_sustainable_home/Peg_Looming/

It's a good woodland project too. It can be used to weave rush or bracken into mats. Useful for seating, under sleeping bags, a dry bit for kit, or a safe place to put hot pots.

cheers,
Mary

Ah so! Very neat!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nessa if you want to try one for heavens sake don't buy. I've got three and I'll happily pass one along for you to use.

For the thrifty minded, if you cut old tshirts into strips along the way (that they've been knitted) then pull the strips, they will curl in their raw edges :) These strips weave well and make doormats, bathmats or even bags :D I use the mats to line the cat's basket.

cheers,
Toddy

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
That would be lovely Mary :cool:
I would appreciate a try with one of those. No doubt Sophie would be keen as usual to help....or hinder, LOL

I'll just have to remember to bring some wool or fabric for the next meet then :)

Cheers
Ness :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE