rope and trees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Cheers for the link. Doesn't that equation mean it started taught horizontally?
yes... that's how i string mine up... still drops a foot or 2 in the middle when I'm in it :eek:
It is a very simplistic model, but shows the general idea. If you wanted to be deadly accurate you would need to take into account stretch in the fabric/rope, changing pull angles, distribution of weight along the hammock, flex in the trees etc.

Avoid paracord like the plague. Paracord creeps and the knots fuse, even if you quadruple it. It's for securing gear, not people and certainly not people for a long time stretched between two trees.

I hang on spectra/dyneema and even then on 4mm+ lines to lessen creep.

As for trees, well if you hang in the crook of a branch, and tension carefully, it'll be fine, but otherwise, it's nice to use some 1" strapping or pad the line with leaves and twigs or bark.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
If it's 550lb on each end, then the breaking strain is 1100lb (78 stone). That's got to be plenty. I don't really understand the tension got up one order of magnitude gzornenplat. Sure, jumping on it will increase the tension, but not tenfold, surely.
Tie a knot in a rope and you reduce its strength, same with if pass it over something. The tests used to determine the breaking strength are carried out under ideal conditions and a using a "static weight". In real conditions and being used for real it's real strength is between 10 and 20 percent of the tested strength,

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
I can point out here that stretch aint a great thing, my hammock was very securely fastened last night, good bit of clearance between me and the ground, even when in it. As it's the first time I've used it, the webbing provided with it (the same stuff as yours) sloooooowly stretched as I was alseep, to the point my bum was scraping the ground.Rechecked the knots before I decapmed, they were all secure, so must have been stretch.

Stretch can be good or bad depending on perspective.
If you've just missed a hold while climbing, or vanished down a crevasse, the stretch in the rope is what turns a gut wrenching jolt of a stop into a much more pleasant deceleration.
Of course, not many of us are going to be leaping into a hammock from a lower branch so that kind of stretch wouldn't give much benefit.

I wonder if something with (effectively) zero stretch, let's say a stout chain, would make for a slightly more uncomfortable night. Having never slept in a hammock I don't know, but I imagine that a certain amount of give in the system would make for a smoother ride.

JoyR - what knots had you used? Not to insult you or anything, but could it be that the knots were securely tied and had slipped along the line somehow?
I expect that once the hammock is fully loaded, the lines around the tree would tighten, the knots would tighten and so on - I dunno if that'd add enough length to drop you bum-to-floor, but I imagine that would lead to some degree of sag, even if not as much as you experienced.

Stretch can be good or bad depending on perspective.
If you've just missed a hold while climbing, or vanished down a crevasse, the stretch in the rope is what turns a gut wrenching jolt of a stop into a much more pleasant deceleration.
Of course, not many of us are going to be leaping into a hammock from a lower branch so that kind of stretch wouldn't give much benefit.

I understood that a little stretch helped with breaking problems, since you don't get a snatch. I've email Woodlore to see what they use on their eco sleep system.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
The main point in my mind, is the protection of the tree and the weight is a secondary concern.

The straps are healthier for the trees. Use them and be happy.

The extra weight you carry (isn't much anyway, eh?) is the honor that your back does the trees and you can be proud to carry the weight.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
How much damage would rope actually do?
I'd never even considered it might be an issue before.

SMarvell - I'd agree with you on the breakage thing. I'd expect the stretch to be beneficial in that respect.

Obviously, it depends a bit on the tree, but generally a hammock rope holding an adult can do a fair amount of damage -- especially over a couple of nights.

Bark is designed to protect trees, of course, but the long, lateral rubbing of a rope can open the tree up for a variety of unpleasantry because any rub through the bark allows the tender stuff (that the bark protects) to be exposed.

The way I look at is this: if I want the tree to hold me up all night, the least I can do is make sure I do everything possible to protect that tree.

Seems like a fair exchange, no?

dogwood - perfectly fair. :)
I was curious as to whether the need for straps/tape rather than rope was in response to a percieved risk of damage to the tree or a real one.

Sometimes people take precautions that don't need taking, I was wondering if this was one that needed taking or if it was more to do with making straps into a "feature" to add value rather than to actually protect.

I can see the logic in using something kinder to the tree, but was/am curious as to how necessary it actually is.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
dogwood - perfectly fair. :)
I can see the logic in using something kinder to the tree, but was/am curious as to how necessary it actually is.

I'm not a botanist, but I've been a hammock camper for about 6 years ( I use a hammock about 1/3 of the time I'm out) and I religiously employ straps and have never seen anything resembling damage on the trees I use.

However, I have seen hammock campers who use ropes cut deeply into the bark -- and in one case when the rope slipped with a big guy in the hammock, essentially debark about a 1 foot by three foot part of the tree. It was ugly.

Ropes and hammocks cause visible damage to trees -- straps don't. We've all seen that trees with bark cuts can have problems, so I say don't do it.

Botanist or not, that sounds pretty conclusive to me.
I'm still hammock-less, but when I do get one... straps it is.

As I said, it was just a wonder as to whether ropes really did damage or just "might" do it. From that post it seems pretty clear.

Thanks for that. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE