Rookie Flying Snake ID?

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I was walking along a road doing some bird watching when I heard the sound of breaking branches. A couple of small branches fell to the ground followed by a “plop” sound.

I looked over and thought I saw a snake but it wasn’t moving and it looked like a toy rubber snake.

I walked over and realize it was a snake that had fallen out of the tree. About 1.5m or more

greensnaleP7272763.jpg

Looking closely I felt that it was a paradise tree snake, probably the Green P T S.

greensnakeP7272766.jpg

But a paradise tree snake is a flying snake – one of the best. Nat Geographic was recently filming a new documentary on them and other flying wonders.

What was it doing falling out of a tree?

I took a video. It’s clear in places but I was multitasking. A PTS is a back fanged venomous species (though not highly so) and I also needed to keep an eye out for traffic while shoo-ing the snake to the side.

It looks like a PTS but maybe it is a bronze back. I’m putting money on PTS. Any ideas?

Still puzzled by the fall. Either it was surprised and did not react in time or it flew into the branch and botched the landing.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's definately a Paradise Tree snake (Chrysopelea paradisi). Looks like it launched itself onto some dead twigs that couldn't support it's weight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE