ROMAN MULTI-TOOL

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That wee scoop would do well to howk marrow out of a cracked bone too.

Definitely a luxury item though....but then have you seen the price of SAK's these days ! ?
and they're not made of silver......

M

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Definitely proof of the old saying "there is nothing new under the sun" I mean what did the Roman's ever do for us?

• Haha
Reactions: SCOMAN

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
There are folks here in the UK that make them too ;-) Not something I would want to make though I have to confess.

Steve Wagstaff (the Roman Trader) makes a lovely one and is always under-priced. I think Todd (tods workshop/tods knives/tods stuff) makes them too

Reactions: TLM

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's the juxtaposition though. Food eating tools.....and an ear scoop ??

The Vikings had ear scoops, but they were on a different set of 'etui' stuff.

Reactions: Dave Budd

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I'm with you on this Toddy. All of the tools on there are food related. It's normally listed as an ear or cosmetics spoon, but why anybody keep their toothbrush and lipstick in the kitchen cutlery drawer?

Given the range of fiddly and odd foods rich Romans enjoyed, a scoop for marrow/shell fish/molluscs/etc makes far more sense

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We know of the set of tools that includes tweezers, and there are ear spoons with those.
A 'grooming' set. Usually has a nail cleaner, sometimes a little comb and a razor too. Men's combs are more likely to have a matching cover though.

Interesting, isn't it ? the bits and pieces that humanity makes to keep themselves clean and tidy :)

M

Reactions: Dave Budd

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE