Rocky Mountain Overnighter

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
My Good Friend Ridgewalker and I shoulderd our rucks, fishing rods, our firearms and headed into the mountains to a remote location known as Thompson lake.
Ridgewalker carried a heavy rucksack and though a bit whipped got in a bit of fishing while i got in some general woods loafing.

here is a short vid and a few pics
The campsite is one i established about three years ago and is a capital one.
we carried firearms and bear spray in the event we came across a Grizzly in a bad mood or perhaps a moose in the rut.
fortunately we had no difficulties with the local wildlife and had surprizingly good weather and mild temps even though the lake was at eight thousand foot elev.

[video=youtube;Ps2mqtq39cg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps2mqtq39cg[/video]

Camp above the lake...Just how we left it three years earlier...Cool!!!

also my bush built fishing spear
also just the way i left it....JTD....you getting this?

Here is my set up, nylon tarp, USGI Bivy sack, foam pad and a two season sleeping bag....aka PLASTIC!

Zipper taking a nap after the hike in, while a bit less than six miles in, we gained two thousand feet elev from the trailhead.

Ridgewalker setting up his hammock and tarp
his first night in a hammock...he said he slept ok and i told him he would need to tweek his system and work out the kinks.

Thompson Lake

Zipper and woodsrunner on Bear watch

Success....Dinner?

Back at camp

Nature calls and evening falls

Thanks for lookin!...woods

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
Nice camp and beautiful lake. Thanks for sharing. Is the lake natural or man made?
Thanks santaman...its a natural lake, this is just one of a couple dozen mountain lakes in this particular mtn range and this is just one of the many mtn ranges (absarokas) that make up the rocky mountains...woods

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Woods another good honest vid, a good pic of you and zipper on bear watch..👍😎

Sent from somewhere?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I can only echo every above comment, it looks like a great trip and with ever present thought of a encounter with a grizzly, its something we wont get in the UK, Again more please.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE