Rock boiling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi, today i went for a wander and thought that i would only take my knife,Kuksa and firesteel. As i had'nt took any water with me i intended to make a Birch bark container and try my hand at purifying water by rock boiling,well the Birch bark was'nt playing so i had to settle for using my Kuksa as a kettle. So i started a fire and put about 6 or 7 stones into the fire for about 30 to 45 mins to get hot,meanwhile i collected some water from a near by stream and some pine needles from a Scots pine. Ended up with a cup of tasty pine needle tea,just what the doctor ordered on a bitterly cold day.

Here the water is just coming to a simmer.

Now a full boil.

I was quite surprised by how little time it took to boil,and the amount of stones it took, only 3.

Anyway enough of my babbling's.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
That looks great! Beautiful cup btw. I guess that really is self sufficiency; carved kuska, firesteel made fire, stone boiled water and pine needle tea.
I'm impressed!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE