Robb Wolf hunting elk with a spear

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...as a very active hunter I still don't like to see things die but die they must before we eat them...

Not 100% true. Stone crab are harvested (at least I think it's stone crab) for their claws only. One claw (the bigger one) is broken off for consumption while the still live crab is returned to the water to grow another claw for next year's harvest. It doesn't work if you take the wrong claw as they will then throw the other one off and die (that's their natural defense, to throw off one claw and escape while the predators go after the deserted claw)

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Dogs, (a delicacy in many societies) dont worry about what they eat, its what makes them so sucessful.

We are a pretty similar sort of animal, hence the dogs latching onto us and becomming a sucessful parasite.

worrying about the animal is a pretty modern sort of luxury, isnt it?

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
I think they should of finished the elk of much quicker than they did but at least it wasn't in a cattle truck and abattoir for hours before it died. If you eat meat the reality is something has to die and you should aim for the quickest cleanest death you can. I personally wouldn't try with a spear as I don't think I could kill it cleanly enough but then I have never been with out food for more than a couple of days

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Dogs, (a delicacy in many societies) dont worry about what they eat, its what makes them so sucessful.

We are a pretty similar sort of animal, hence the dogs latching onto us and becomming a sucessful parasite.

worrying about the animal is a pretty modern sort of luxury, isnt it?

I do consider our dog part of the family, and when one of our dogs die it really is heart breaking.
But if the kids were starving and the dog couldn't bring in food then it'd be dog souvlaki for dinner.

Luckily the dog is a Jack Russell so i'm betting she'd bring in more food than the few mouthfuls we'd get eating her.

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
Merely a response to your comment. If you didn't want to go there, why did you bring it up to begin with?[/QUOTE

Well I dunno when was the last time you used an atlatl to kill a crab?? Or would you just aim for the claw? It's a video which includes killing by traditional means, it's not pretty so I suggest if you don't like the video definately dont' watch it.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Merely a response to your comment. If you didn't want to go there, why did you bring it up to begin with?[/QUOTE

Well I dunno when was the last time you used an atlatl to kill a crab?? Or would you just aim for the claw? It's a video which includes killing by traditional means, it's not pretty so I suggest if you don't like the video definately dont' watch it.

The video doesn't bother me (apart from it being obviously tame elk) The last time I killed a crab was by dropping him (her?) in boiling water.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE