rob evans bush tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
i was fortunate enough courtesy of maarten (nightfly) to have this knife as part of the pass around he aranged. i would have to say that in my limited experience this is probably the best knife i have ever had the good fortune to use.

IMG_0011.jpg

the beast in question

IMG_0012.jpg

the dangler sheath comes apart allowing the sheath itself to be used as a neck sheath. the sheath is very well made and of good quality leather.

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

the naked knife

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

shown along side my jlt woodlore

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

it arrived shaving sharpe out of the box

IMG_0019.jpg

used it to batton some knotty pine

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

the knife remained sharp even after all that battoning, and was excellent at shaving kindling and making feather sticks

i used it to carve a new pot hanger

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023-1.jpg

i realy enjoyed my time with this knife and would like to thank maarten for loaning it out and rob evans for making it

i feel this knife is the one suited to the british woods and to that end im going to have to get myself one! anyone who has not tryed one should do.

regards rob

Reactions: n0mad and Erbswurst

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
It's a close copy of a skookum bushtool, I do a sharper point ,different sheath and a steeper grind than the skookum, I find the grind on the skookum far to acute for a zero grind, my mate had one and after its first proper sharpen the edge just stripped off as soon as it cut a stick.
I really like the design of this knife so I make these now instead of woodlore clones.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I count myself very fortunate to own a Rob Evans knife a little smaller and simpler than this model.
Superb fit all round and fantastically sharp from the start it is now my favourite knife.The sheath is also
simple and superbly well crafted.Everyone who has seen this knife now covets it........................
But it's mine!
Simon

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
I count myself very fortunate to own a Rob Evans knife a little smaller and simpler than this model.
Superb fit all round and fantastically sharp from the start it is now my favourite knife.The sheath is also
simple and superbly well crafted.Everyone who has seen this knife now covets it........................
But it's mine!
Simon

i second all of that. was lucky enough to get one of robs knives a couple of months ago and it is fantastic. all my other knives are jealous because i don't play with them anymore :)

leon-1

Rob's work is very good, his reputation for making very good serviceable tools is growing daily. Having handled some of his work I would say that pound for pound you get bargain handmade cutlery at a budget price. His leatherwork is also exceptionally good, he uses good quality leather and his edging, stitching and finishing are of a very high quality.

One point to note is sharpness, it was mentioned that Rob's knives arrive sharp, that would be an understatement, Rob has a tendency to send knives out that are at a standard of sharpness that he would be happy to use himself for Bushcraft (Rob is a very talented Bushcrafter himself). Also edge retention is exceptionally good. All in all you can't go too far wrong in dealing with him.

Reactions: Ettrick reiver

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
I'm also a proud owner of a "Bushey Clone" set, and can honestly say they are some of the best knives I've ever owned - and have no intention of ever letting them go!!!
RobevsPair.jpg

and also just had a great sheath made by Ian Atkinson (nothing wrong with Rob's leather work - but the horizontal one is better for getting in out of the landy on a daily basis!!!)

robevs73.jpg

gordonmac

Nomad
Oct 15, 2009
Caithness, Scotland
gordonmac.com
It's a close copy of a skookum bushtool, I do a sharper point ,different sheath and a steeper grind than the skookum, I find the grind on the skookum far to acute for a zero grind, my mate had one and after its first proper sharpen the edge just stripped off as soon as it cut a stick.
I really like the design of this knife so I make these now instead of woodlore clones.

Those really are beautiful knives, Rob. I kinda strayed over to the dark side of production knives, but stuff like this really makes me want to keep an eye out for your posts on the Maker's Market!

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
What are the big holes in the middle of the handles for?

You can tie the knife far more securely to a stick or pole with two holes, this enables you to use the knife as a mini scythe for grass collection or to cut stuff that's to high up. Or you can be really silly and make it into a spear.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I have one of these knives, a couple of months in and I love it! in use, in looks & finish and Rob is a star to deal with...... Reccommend the knife and him without hesitation

The only thing that I have found is the sheath, although a thing of beauty and Robs work cannot be knocked, its the first time I have had a dangler sheath and I can't get used to it!
But with the that system you can do a neck carry so its all good! I intend to get Rob to make me another sheath as soon as I can and hope to have another one of his knives with me before too long.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
You can tie the knife far more securely to a stick or pole with two holes, this enables you to use the knife as a mini scythe for grass collection or to cut stuff that's to high up. Or you can be really silly and make it into a spear.

Or to tie 3 of them together for each hand when you're feeling a little Wolverine.

Silliness aside though, thanks for answering - I wouldn't have thought of incorporating that into a knife design.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Yup another big thumbs up for Robs Bushtools. I have one and it's my primary knife now.. Does everything fantastically well !!

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Interesting, as I am am planning to get a new custom busy tool & the Shookum Bush Tool was one of the ones I was looking at.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Neumo, remind me nearer time and i'll bring this along to the Sussex meet for you to have a look at

JLTCarverFeb20107.jpg

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Interesting, as I am am planning to get a new custom busy tool & the Shookum Bush Tool was one of the ones I was looking at.
I hear you would have a bit of a wait for a skookum, unless you get one second hand they do pop up on BB occasionally £200+

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Just have to give another HUGE thumbs up to Rob, both for the quality of these wonderful knives, and for being such an all-round decent chap to deal with. I've never held a knife anywhere near as comfortable. When I lost my first one (argh grumble moan) I went straight back to him for two more, and he couldn't have been more helpful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE