Rob Bayley DB Knife... Progress Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wilt

Dec 4, 2004
Ohio, USA
This is a very neat project indeed Jonathan. As others have stated, I'm watching this one very closely. I just don't know though how you do it? I thought RB was booked up for years and here you are knee deep in a project with him! I say well for you!

On another note, have you considered getting both the belt sheath and a BG style horizontal sheath to give you more flexibility?

Finally, can you give any and all details as to the heat treat (i.e. hardening temp and tempering temp and deep cooling) and HRC of the RWL-34 blade? As I understand it, there are six heat treatment recommendations and I would like to know which one you and RB chose.

This is good stuff.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
This is a very neat project indeed Jonathan. As others have stated, I'm watching this one very closely. I just don't know though how you do it? I thought RB was booked up for years and here you are knee deep in a project with him! I say well for you!

On another note, have you considered getting both the belt sheath and a BG style horizontal sheath to give you more flexibility?

Finally, can you give any and all details as to the heat treat (i.e. hardening temp and tempering temp and deep cooling) and HRC of the RWL-34 blade? As I understand it, there are six heat treatment recommendations and I would like to know which one you and RB chose.

This is good stuff.

As posted on BB. No idea whether Rob uses HT or cryo-quenching, but will ask. The horizontal sheath is well suited to this short knife. All my others are in vertical belt sheaths. I can always get a verical later if needs be, but I doubt it would get as much use. I may get a neck sheath made too, as the knife is small with a flat profile suited to this method of carry.

And I had my orders placed way before the huge wait lists kicked in.

wilt

Dec 4, 2004
Ohio, USA
All good stuff Jonathan. I figured you had your place in line with RB a long time ago! :You_Rock_

I do look forward to hearing about the heat treat and HRC details. Thank you kindly.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Almost done. Rob is just making the sheath and the whole lot should be with me on Saturday.

D-Rav.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Cheers guys.

nice job
i like the way he does his pin/tubes infact ive been meaning to draw up some like it on the CAD and get made for my stuff (nother new year project ;) )

ATB

Duncan

A few people have commented in the past that the 'rivets' on Robs knife handles look roughly finished for a £350+ knife maker. The fact is though, Like you say Duncan, they aren't rivets, but threaded bolts, and like Loveless bolts, it's the thread people are seeing in pictures, not roughly finished rivets at all.

What's slice out of the handle for Jon ?

It's Robs signature shape. It's an extra grip for your fore and ring fingers. It looks like it would be really uncomfortable, but it's surprisingly ergonomic and natural feeling.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's Robs signature shape. It's an extra grip for your fore and ring fingers. It looks like it would be really uncomfortable, but it's surprisingly ergonomic and natural feeling.

I had often wondered what it was for, thanks for clearing it up

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Well, I got it this morning. Beautiful piece of work by Rob. I forgot how small and compact the whole thing is. I really like this full stitched sheath compared to the old S4 version. The thumb ramp works much better than expected, and is comfortable even when applying pressure to the thumb directly on the small step in the guard. I really need to get out and test it. Along with Geds parangs, the Chris Caine tool and Robbis mini axe, I'm gonna have a great weekend of cutting stuff.

08Jan2011.jpg

08Jan20112.jpg

08Jan20113.jpg

08Jan20114.jpg

08Jan20115.jpg

08Jan20116.jpg

08Jan20117.jpg

08Jan20119.jpg

08Jan20118.jpg

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It does look good JD. goodjob

The blade is larger than I was expecting when compared to your other knife. Be interesting to see how it perfoms as well.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I think the full flat grind makes my knife look slimmer than it really is. Here's a comparison against my scandi version....

08Jan2010blades.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE