Roast Thistle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
I went for a wander down the river bank today to practice fire lighting using feathersticks. I got my fire going no problem and put the billy on for a brew. When the fire had burnt down to embers I put some Thistle stems on to see what they would roast up like. I covered them over with embers and after a couple of minutes took them out. I peeled the skin off and ate the inner core. They are so good I had another five. :rolleyes:
What other wild veggies are worth roasting in the embers of a fire?

M

michael

how long do you roast the stems for, once i tried it and royally mucked it up, i just dried them out :D

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
thistle stems are hollow

at least up here they are

or do you mean the roots?

Both are edible..... and so are the leaves and bracts (the bits around the flower) .... though the stems can be a little bitter but soaking in water first will help this.

:)
Ed

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
When thistles are young the stems are solid they become hollow as the plant grows. If you look near to the growing tip the stem should still be solid.
As for the taste some are bitter but others are sweet, it's just down to being lucky when your picking them :D

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
I eat thistles alot but can never get the roots right, like eating a lump of wood. whaty am I doing wrong?

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
martin said:
...some are bitter but others are sweet, it's just down to being lucky when your picking them :D

Some experimentation is needed perhaps to determine whether they are sweet or bitter before picking them....? :).

Perhaps I'll have a go. Thistles are still on my list to eat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE