Roadkill adder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
I found a freshly killed adder today that has just had its head flattened but is otherwise undamaged and has a beautiful pattern.

huggorm031.jpg

huggorm032.jpg

Questions are:

How should I skin it, flat or like a tube?
How to treat the skin?
What to make from it?

I could make a hatband and change my username to "Grey adder" but I don't wear a hat.
All tips and suggestions are welcome.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
You're right it has beautiful markings. I think the best way to skin it would be to slit it down the belly & tan/ treat it flat. be careful of the head, it's poison will still be active. You should skin it right away as it will start to decompose. you can salt it for now until you learn how to tan it (I don't know how)
As for uses, it's more decorative than any thing, sewing on to other leather objects, sheaths for example, bracelets,belts, straps, clothing etc.....
I'm not sure of the adder's protective status in Sweden, so be careful where you show it.......good luck.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I don't know about this, but is it illegal to be captured with protected species even if you have found them dead?

It would be illegal to possess this in the UK. The OP isn't, he's in Sweden. I don't know the laws there or their status as a protected species.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
just skin it normally down the middle of the underside, then remove whats left of the large smooth scales on the bottom and flatten it out. then tan it (ask someone else about that bit) and lay it out on a flat surface (a board of wood) and secure it tightly to it, then lay another lighter (weight) board on it and hold them together with elastic bands. then leave it somewhere dry where its OK if it stinks to hell for a month, and your done.
i dont know if this is how others would do it but its how my grandfather did it in WW2 while stationed in burma, after finding the 5' burmese python in his tent... only a baby one :(

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Thanks for your concern!
All snakes are protected in sweden but this is only because people tend to kill adders and can't tell the difference from a Smooth snake which is an endangered species.
We have some species that should be handed in to the National Veterinary Institute but otherwise it is not illegal to possess a dead animal. If you want to sell it however, CITES comes in to play.

Regarding my questions I have searched the net and tanning with a mix of alcohol and glycerin seems to be a common way to do it so I guess I will try this.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
It would be illegal to possess this in the UK. The OP isn't, he's in Sweden. I don't know the laws there or their status as a protected species.

That's why I asked, but he has it sorted within the laws there. I just didn't want him getting in bother because of a post on a public forum.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Since it's apparently legal to own in Sweden you might think of something decorative such as a hatband. For those of you who cannot legally possess one I might offer the following advice (should you find yourself in the same position) Try calling an official or public institution (such as a university or zoo) that can possibly legally possess it and stuff it as an educational display or use it for research.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE