Road kill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Does anyone know of any rules pertaining to the collection and use of roadkills. Went out with the dogs for a walk yesterday and we came across a badger carcase, young male, no damage to it's body and wondered at the time if I could have brought it home and used the skin. Seems such a waste otherwise to just move it to the side of the road.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I think you'd get a firm knock at your door if anyone spotted you with a badger pelt - I remember being told a story where someone had dyed rabbit pelts to look like other animals (badger included) and someone reported them - took away all of the skins for testing and eventually returned them. If it had been badger they may have faced prosecution.

If you reported your find to the RSPCA (or similar) and requested to keep the body, be honest about what you want it for, then they may well say yes - saves them dealing with it - though they may want to run tests for TB etc.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Badger pelts, unless antique, are prohibited as I recall.

As such it doesn't matter how you come into possession you could still be prosecuted.

A shame really because I've often seen good road kill that would make nice pelts for my living history work but I daren't use them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE