Rivetting my Stitches - or Stitching my Rivetting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Afternoon all,

I'm getting stuck into some leatherwork, it started as me wanting to get back into it, make myself some more dodgy looking pouches and be proud of my rough work. It's now developed into wanting to make some nice(r) stuff, and so I'm taking it more seriously.

I want to reinforce my stitching with rivets, I've worked with both but not used both in the same project. Now it's come to it, I realise I don't know how it's done.

So leatherworkers - do you stitch it up and put your rivets close by? Do you rivet and then stitch very close up to the rivet? Looking at my TBS knife sheath, it looks like they peened the rivet down over the end stitch, but to be honest it's such a neat job I can't see if the 1st stitch next to the rivet is 2nd from end stitch or the actual first stitch - hope this makes sense! Could be I'm looking well too far into it and can just stitch, leaving a space for any intended rivets.

Thanks very much for any tips, I was tempted to do my usual just-have-a-go but it's horween derby leather, stunning stuff and I was almost too scared to cut into it, so want to do my best to not wreck it just yet!

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Most of the work I have seen has the rivets positioned between the stitching and the sharp edge as an added protection. With large headed rivets it can look like they are positioned in line with the thread though. My TBS sheath knife has hollow rivets between two lines of stitching but that sheath has a substantial welt. The axe mask I made uses only rivets because I did not have the kit for stitching.
Hopefully Hamish the Half Goat will spot this thread and chime in with his preferred method of work.

Rob.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Or...you could bin the stitching altogether and use a large, slack handful of round headed,copper-effect upholstery nails.
Made one for a mates old hickory, four parallel rows of 'em, down the back edge. Looked fantastic with a triangle hole for carry inboard of a belt. Weighed a ton!
Ceeg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If I am riveting and stitching I tend to rivet and then stitch in between - riveting over stitches (in theory) could cut threads...

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
There are only three reasons for using rivets:

1. Reinforcement of observable stress points. Think denim jeans.
2. Protection of a poorly closed stitched seem. As in an axe mask that if wet moulded and stitched with #7 or #8 picking iron spacing will never permit the head's edge to contact the thread in a lifetime of service.
3. Aesthetic considerations. Some like the over engineered and ruggedised look.

K

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE