Rivets question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
On Sunday I got to use my SFA quite a bit while doing a bit of lane clearing on a byway near me. This was great and meant I was able to get a good feel for the axe over a few hours, what a great tool, very impressive. :) It kept its edge very well indeed cutting a selection Elder, Hawthorn and Birch with no problems at all.

All very good, now the bad bit. :eek:

I forgot to remove the sheath at one point and proceeded to cut through the leather and the two of the rivets holding the sheath together. :eek: Boy, was I ****** off and angry with myself for doing it! Luckily it didn't do any major damage to the edge and it just needed a little work.

I reckon that with two new rivets I'll be able to save the sheath and keep using it. Can anyone tell me what I need to buy and where I can get them, preferably just the two I need if possible.

Cheers,

Simon.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
I use tubular rivets for this sort of thing. If you just need a couple I can send you some, as I buy them in bulk... :)

They're easy to install - they come in two parts. Slip the male part through the two bits of leather, and slot the female part over the male. Site on a firm surface (anvil or good solid bit of floor / table) and hit straight with a hammer.

Those who do lots of riveting have posh machines for this, but a hammer is fine for most applications... :) I had my brother make me a simple set of tools to help keep the rivet straight while it was hammered, but generally a bit of practice sorts that out anyway.

PM me your address if you want me to send you a couple of rivets...

ODG

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Not wanting to overstep the mark by asking for any but where do you source your rivets from? is it somewhere local? as i'm from Wilts as well ;)

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Hi Graham!

Actually I buy in bulk from a place in London... Although you might be able to get some from Colleges (sp?) in Bristol (they're shoemakers suppliers) - I'll dig out their contact details if you like.

ODG

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
You can get two piece tubular rivets from le Prevo and from The Identity Store (Pearce Tandy). Choose between "Double Cap" rivets (Flat and tidy on both sides) or the open backed "Single Cap" (Flat neat top but shows the hollow in the rivet on the underside) Both companies do mail order and you dont need to buy hundreds at a time unless you need to.

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/rivets.html

http://www.pearcetandy.com/store/index.htm

Pearce Tandy do not have an online catalogue, but a quick call to them will put you on the right track.They're helpful folks.

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
Thanks guys,

Open backed rivets are whats there already so I'll use some of those to repair it.

ODG, I'd like to take you up on your offer if you have some suitable rivets, I'll PM you the details. :You_Rock_

The Leprovo site looks like one to bookmark. I'm working on my first knife and will need to make a sheath at some point, so it will be very usefull.

Cheers,

Simon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE