Trip Report Riverside Trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ayup all,

Few photos from a stunning weekend spent by the river. Weather could not be better. Blazing sunshine and just the odd cloud to cool things down.

Rammed with wild garlic and trees with lush spring growth. We swam on both days which in fast flowing water from the hills is brisk at best. :cool: Although once in and with the sun on your shoulders,, and providing your heart made it through the rapid temperature difference, it was quite pleasant..

DUJRIZW.jpg

AskW5IP.jpg

One of the many great things about the river is the regular delivery of free quality firewood.

f676rk1.jpg

In no time at all it was feeling like home. Had to make most things from scratch as its been a while since we were out there.

IQSE3gg.jpg

Then it was time for a swim! No idea how cold it actually was but its never warm. The water was very low this time which was a nice change as it slowed the river. Last year when swimming it was only in the lea of an island. Anything further out was at running pace.

One thing the cold does is remind you of every old injury you have ever had. My wrists and ankles were the worst. However once used to the cold it was stunning. The Riverbed is large boulders and rocks so a steady foot is needed.

wkCY3QA.jpg

sZgi4cy.jpg

Some spuds on to go with the fish. Jerseys, salted butter and ramsons, seasoned with loads of fresh ground pepper and sea salt. Words don't do them justice.

ns47dZK.jpg

Some fish n shrimp..... Anyone else hungry now?

Op8Uf9m.jpg

NTgMihm.jpg

Then it was time to knock up some hangers to put the tools in one communal place. Rather than asking "wheres the saw, axe etc"

Yme7gaq.jpg

Next day the Damsel`s were out in full force. All a bit docile and sleepy still

jAxF4pJ.jpg

FWOObku.jpg

My usual hang. In the usual mess after me trying to find something that should be in its place!

eaJmPuZ.jpg

The next day we had bacon and sausage butties from a local butchers. Then it was some whittlin. Thanks to Neil1 on here for the tutorial. Some practice needed.

AQA2mxd.jpg

Grslvqa.jpg

That was us for the weekend. Managed to miss all the football n wedding type stuff.

Last edited:

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Oh, that salmon and prawns are making me very hungry.

Looks like a lovely spot.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Marvelous spot that, and you certainly made the most of your time there. As said above by sundowner, the photo's give it a dreamy type of feel, like a childhood memory.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
It is a stunning spot and I am very lucky to have the access. Watching the river all day is like having a second fire to stare at.

Russell96

Forager
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
Fantastic! Wonderful photos and looks like a great time. Stunning spot you have there; very jealous!
Thanks for sharing.
Russ

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE