River Crossing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Okay! It's not a survival skill you need too often in deepest Sussex, but it was fun for the scouts.

DSCF3420copy.jpg

DSCF3421copy.jpg

DSCF3430copy.jpg

This was a "Dry" run for the investiture of the new scouts coming up from our Cub pack...Don't like to make it too easy for them ;)

There's an "A" frame on this side of the bank, but didn't get a picture of it :bluThinki and the old Hawthorn is creaking on the far bank.... :eek:

F

Freds Dad

Well done to all. Nice to see Scouts doing proper things. I hope you DIDN'T do a risk assesment but used common sence as an older and far better way of assesing safety. My troop (1st Capel St Mary) also do river crossing on the river Stour at Dedham. They practice walking across using a safety line and also how to use a rucsac as a flotation device. Keep up the good work, nice to see you have girls in the troop. No doubt they fled the girly girl guides and their 'urban hikes'in discust. Just a note though, a bit of sacking to protect the tree???

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
AAAGGHH! :eek:

legislation, paperwork, ggggnnnn :(
loads of things i've noticed that are making me nervous :eek:, but if safe fun and adventure are the aim of the game you've done it! :You_Rock_
surely this is scouting of 20 years ago they are having fun! ;)

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
that's great! we had an evening building monkey bridges, commando bridges and cargo nets and so on a while back, not got any convenient rivers though! :You_Rock_

i have noticed in the past though, that hawthorns have a tendancy to keel over when strain is applied to them.

cheers, and.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
...are not mutually exclusive.

Controlled risk is the aim...

Fred's Dad, the troop did the recce the week before (made "them" think of health and safety). The girls SHOW the way, and depending on their mood, either work with the lads, or gang up and beat them hands down :D

And good point about the sacking around the tree.

Sergy, you're right about Hawthorns not being the most stable of trees. You wouldn't believe how difficult it was to find a stretch of river with a "suitable" tree either side. In the end had to use the "A" frame on one side.

Cormac, the chair is running on a large eyelet, but I have since found a decent pulley.

Rappleby, it was as safe as it needed to be (that would be the common sense bit) and anyway, I have a walking book of legislation called a GSL. It's his job to worry, and mine to have the fun ;)

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Had an investiture last night, and the new scouts got across safely...as for me, I think their lashings leave something to be desired :lmao:

DSCF3647copy.jpg

I did get across, with a slightly damp butt :p

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Hey ho, Stovie.

Well, there you are, clearly enjoying yourself.
Can,t help but wonder how many of the blighters were willing a ducking on you :lmao:

Out of interest, was that running gear just a moused screwpin shackle?

Ceeg

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Seagull said:
Hey ho, Stovie.

Well, there you are, clearly enjoying yourself.
Can,t help but wonder how many of the blighters were willing a ducking on you :lmao:

Out of interest, was that running gear just a moused screwpin shackle?

Ceeg

They were swinging it as hard as they could...but it held...just :rolleyes:

Yeah! Used a screw pin shackle, the pulley I picked up just aint big enough. Bit of grease helps it run.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE