River cottage tonight at 8

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Ooh that's good, thanks :)

The River Cottage Treatment

8:00pm - 9:00pm

Channel 4

VIDEO Plus+: 7579
Subtitles

1/3

Celebrity smallholder Hugh Fearnley- Whittingstall puts his real-food philosophy to the test in this charming new series. He's had enough of preaching to the converted, so he invites a bunch of urban-dwelling fast food-lovers to River Cottage HQ down the road from his home to try out his natural approach, hoping he can skewer their preconceptions as neatly as his organic chicken kebabs. Given the guests, he's got his work cut out. Here's beautician Freda on a dead hen: "I'm not being funny - when you look at it like that it's proper off-putting." And Tony's reaction to seeing a chicken stock in the making is equally dismissive: "It's what people did in the Stone Age, isn't it? It's not what you'd expect a family to do now - stick a load of bones in a pot." Watching Hugh struggle to win round these picky eaters is fun. But this isn't your regular reality TV, shrink-wrapped and neatly packaged: the end results are not all that Hugh must have hoped for.

RT reviewer - David Butcher

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Ok did anyone watch it?
Just finished for me as i record anything i want to watch. I was very pleased and think it shows a very important message. Without sounding too pompus i think the life of an animal is important before it is killed. I was also pleased that Hugh plans to show how meat does reach our plates. As well as adding some tips albeit time consuming for the time preciouse society on how to make your shop affordable.
I gave up milk for several reasons. One being the way that dairy cows are treated and now i think it is high time for me to pay more consideration to where my meat comes from. Even if it means cutting back the crap snacks to make more pennies for happy animals.
I do wonder how this series will be recieved by the general audience though. I think Jamie Oliver was lucky when he killed that Lamb? in the fact that he is so popular that people still watch him. I only hope that people heed what Hugh has to say instead of just switching over the channel.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I have been delighted that, for some years now, Hugh has been carrying the banner of respect for animals both wild and domesticated and the part they play in our food chain and heritage.......respect without undue sentiment. Last night's episode obviously pulled no punches and openly confronted the attitudes of some of his guests in terms of the origins of their food and (with all due respect to them) the lack of thought - even disinterest - some of the guests had concerning the lifestyle of the chickens they were regularly eating.

Long may he continue to make programmes of this kind....it's part of redressing the balance in bringing our quick-fix, throwaway society back to understanding our relationship with nature and our origins. Whatever other comments people make about Hugh F-W, his philosophy and principles remain consistent and IMHO he deserves ongoing success..... :)

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
I feel that as far as the general public is concerned, his programme will have as much effect on peoples eating habits as the knowledge that there arn't very many Cod left in the sea has on them....

His success rate with the people he had there was quite good, but in some respects I think he failed the lady who was very upset by the slaughter of the bird, in that she has not eaten any chicken since leaving his farm. the point of the exercise was to encourage thoughtful eating, not repulsion. I am not saying that it was just the slaughter that turned her away from chicken, but obviously it lead to a watershed moment and has left her with some unresolved issues.

I suppose that to the likes of people who discuss issues such as this on a forum such as BCUK, it is preaching to the initiated....after all, I don't know about you, but I for one already knew that my chicken had to be dead before I could eat it...

10/10 for trying

It was good TV though....

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I'd have liked to watch it but I missed it.

I guess I'll try again next week.

What was said about dairy cows? I'm interested because I worked on a dairy farm for a year and was instrumental in convincing them to change to organic production and raising their standards.

I also lived on another dairy farm but didn't work there. I don't remember there being any mistreatment of the cattle. Although they were far from being organic the cows spent all day out in the field eating grass and were milked twice a day. There was a few practices that I didn't approve of but nothing outrageous.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
i think they played the poor thing the new westlife christmas album on some mini-headphones. he seemed to almost dive onto the knife after that. think i would too...

the more the point of animal treatment gets raised the better, but if we still import meat that hasnt been raised the same way, it's going to be cheap, and we come back to the price...

i think most of us here understand what it is to kill an animal. It has to be done with respect. its sickening to see the amount of food thrown away when the animal has suffered and then died for nothing.
If H FW's tv show helps people make a better choice then its all good. Hopefully it'll get onto the topic of eating wild rabbits etc.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Rebel said:
I'd have liked to watch it but I missed it.

I guess I'll try again next week.

What was said about dairy cows? I'm interested because I worked on a dairy farm for a year and was instrumental in convincing them to change to organic production and raising their standards.

I also lived on another dairy farm but didn't work there. I don't remember there being any mistreatment of the cattle. Although they were far from being organic the cows spent all day out in the field eating grass and were milked twice a day. There was a few practices that I didn't approve of but nothing outrageous.
That wasn't on the show. I think cows are next week with a similar theme.
Do you know where your burgers come from?
Lets go see some burgers on legs
Lets go see some happy cows
lets make friends with a cow
lets kill the cow
lets make happy burgers
do you still eat burgers on legs?

Or something close to that format.
I was thinking about the logistics of it all last night. One of the more repatable mass production farmers said that he would be lucky to get 3 pence per chicken which goes to show why organic chicken costs so much. I don't know what can be done about the situation but i realise what an enormous and near impossible task it is.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
hammy said:
I wonder what car he drives?
(Ans top of the range Range Rover sport complete with low profile wheels)
Still quite a good program though.

I've seen posh Range Rovers driving around London with low profile wheels. Is there any advantage to having low profile wheels on a 4x4 or is it just to look cool?

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
hammy said:
He argues the cause for animals when driving around in a completely un-environmentally friendly car.
A 4 x 4 with racing slicks.
Whats all that about. :rant:

I'm sure that none of us are perfect - we could all do better - he's probably a darn sight more eco than most.

Plus he does live on smallholding and cart livestock, feed etc around - should no-one have a landy? :confused:

Jan 22, 2006
uk
the vehicle he's always had (on the show at least) is a red old-ish (series 2 i think) land rover - the original one was raffled off, look slike he's got a new 2nd hand one. If you have a farm then its ok by me to have one. Its being sat in traffic everyday thats out of order.
still, apparently the UK outputs 2% of the worlds pollution...even if we all halved our output inc industry, its still only 1% of the problem.
tad depressing really.... best thing a person can do is try to influence as many as poss and lead by example. hence i reckon hfw is ok. I must admit his posh-o accent in the early series wound me up no end! city boy tells country folk all about the countryside etc...
he seems to have chilled since then, and gotten his philosphy bang on mostly in my book.
getting back to the point, in terms of bushcraft his way of life has a lot of good stuff about working with nature, respect for the bigger picture and eating organic local, seasonal stuff. he's really into his foraging too. pretty positive bloke really!

hammy

Forager
Sep 28, 2004
Pegswood, Northumberland.
weekend_warrior said:
I'm sure that none of us are perfect - we could all do better - he's probably a darn sight more eco than most.

Plus he does live on smallholding and cart livestock, feed etc around - should no-one have a landy? :confused:

One of these though with low profile tyres ?

Range_Rover_overview_D332E33B-5CD9-417A-B8BC-7FBA51BEB7A1_502x670.jpg

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
hammy said:
One of these though with low profile tyres ?

Range_Rover_overview_D332E33B-5CD9-417A-B8BC-7FBA51BEB7A1_502x670.jpg

I'm told by a usually reliable source that the RC team share a new land rover defender and that Hugh doesn't own a RR - that said he has down some work sponsored by Land Rover recently. Where did you get your info? Yes, I think a RR is a bit OTT (with or without Low Profile Tyres!) - I misread the original post. :rolleyes:

hammy

Forager
Sep 28, 2004
Pegswood, Northumberland.
He was seen getting out the drivers seat of one by a friend of mine.
But if as you say he has done some work for landrover may be they have lent him one for a while.
It does his image no good in my opinion.
All said I like the chap and enjoy his shows.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE