River Cottage Courses

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Aye but it's a long day and I bet it's fun :)

Having learned how much people* spend on utterly pointless management
training days with nonsensical personality tests and whatnot this seems like
good value, if you can afford it of course. At least this is in the vein of 'teaching
a man to fish' I suppose!

If it's 8 hours of teaching and one hour for lunch it's still about £20 per hour for
tuition per person (don't know how many teachers or how many pupils) which
doesn't seem unreasonable.

Then again if something's 100 pounds and you have 99 - it's too expensive :)

Plus you've got accommodation and travel to factor in - as it starts a bit early.

*OK, companies

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A lot of professional courses are around £2k a week for a class of 10. So thats £400 a day. Of course that doesn't just cover the trainer but the cost of the location, material, VAT, handouts, equipment etc.

Compared to that £175 is a bargain. The costs don't change based on the subject. So seems cheap to me - I wouldn't do it for that price.

The guy is probably the leading man in his area. So he charges more than others. Good luck to him. As I've said before - if you don't like what someone charges - particularly an expert, or a field leader, then go somewhere else or do without. HFW has done a great deal of good about educating people about animal welfare, English cooking, wild food and other topics. I hope he sells out and makes a lot of money - and I bet he does.

Red

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I've always liked hugh, I've watched all his shows :)

Its just I find that price personally too expensive, thats just me, I understand there will be a good number of costs etc. there's expenses that people might not even think of like insurance etc. however I can personally surpass that line in my mind cost wise, im pretty dam sure even if I were loaded I wouldnt go on that course ;) good luck to'em though.

Jim_aramis

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
East Cheshire
You can't beat leanring from an expert but second best is learning from experiance, so buy some flour and yeast etc, and have a go.

I saw Ray, the RCHQ butcher last year (at the CLA game fair) and it was fascinating watching him butcher a deer and much better than from a book or tv as they can't answer questions. BCUK can though ;)

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
a fella down my local went on one of these, he said it was great! he said that Hugh was not there for too long, but he did say that fishing with Nick Fisher was excellent, I'll ask him all about it if you are interested

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
£175 is not bad for gaining knowledge that will last a lifetime, beats paying £125 for a shirt that won't last a lifetime;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE