Rite of passage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Well i have spent the weekend out in the woods looking for good wood to carve out my first spoon. After a couple of failed attempts ( wood splitting and my shoddy carving) i went foraging around in my shed and came up with some old wood from B&Q that was left over from a job a while ago........so i thought why not give it ago and here it is.

I know its not good and i will have to buy a crook knife soon but it is possible to carve out the bowl with just a knife and lots of patience.
Major apologies for anyone fed up with looking at spoons but i was just glowing with pride when i finished, after hours of work and a very steep learning curve. It just goes to show that reading about stuff is no replacement for getting out there and doing it.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
FB, you need to host the image on a server somewhere, then include the address of the image in your post using the [img] tags, eg [img]http://address.of.your/image[/img]

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
showphoto.php

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
firebreather said:
but it is possible to carve out the bowl with just a knife and lots of patience.
It sure is :D .... but you have to be very safe with your cutting. Always work on a surface (like a tree stump) and dont try and gouge out the bowl while holding it cupped in your hand as you may slip and end up cutting yourself.

Start by taking a small square piece out of the centre (like when you make holes in sticks ;)) and just widen it little by little, rounding it as you go. Spoon bowls dont really need to be that deep, just a shallow curve will do. When roughly done, take some sand paper to it to give a nice smoothe rounded bowl......

Hope this helps
:D
Ed

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
cheers that was exactly how i did it. got out my old swiss army knife and made lots of little v shaped cuts in the bowl until i got it as deep as i wanted it and then just sanded it off. Life would have been a lot easier with a spoon knife but i dont have one so lots of little cuts it is. lol. Its not a great photo but i took it on my phone as the batterys for my camera needed charging.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE